Not open for further replies.

samtheman

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Sep 2, 2006
Status
Pre-Medical
Hello,

I am having a problem doing this, It has come to the point where I am afraid to come to school. Anyone have this problem?

txprodigal

10+ Year Member
Apr 26, 2008
Status
you should go talk to someone... they might have someone at your school who specializes in counseling specifically for your medical student class

NAGNAM

10+ Year Member
Oct 16, 2008
Status
Resident [Any Field]
How 'bout some inderal just for funsies too

unsung

10+ Year Member
Mar 12, 2007
Status
Resident [Any Field]
lol. I was thinking he/she shoudl get on long term benzo's myself. Maybe throw in an old TCA just to cover all the bases. I hear that both are good for you.
Hey, why not give him a MAOI and some cheese, while you're at it? You guys are horrible :rolleyes:

I don't really think meds are the answer, especially for such situational types of anxiety. Systemic de-sensitization is the way to go...

type b pharmD

10+ Year Member
Feb 24, 2009
Status
Pharmacist
Hey, why not give him a MAOI and some cheese, while you're at it? You guys are horrible :rolleyes:

I don't really think meds are the answer, especially for such situational types of anxiety. Systemic de-sensitization is the way to go...
you may have meant "systematic"

Nanon

An urban myth.
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Feb 15, 2000
Status
Get the man a nice glass of Cab, while you're at it! (Relaxation techniques and realizing that everyone else at school is probably as messed up as I am in some way is helping me.)

getdown

7+ Year Member
Nov 16, 2010
Status
Attending Physician
meds are the answer for people who are unwilling to change things themselves. If you could overcome your fears than you wouldn't need any meds.

I personally recommend some nitro to increase blood flow and prevent ischemic damage when you're full on anxious. Heard carvdilol/nitro combo works well.

Doctor4Life1769

**tr0llin, ridin dirty**
10+ Year Member
Apr 28, 2008
Where the grass is always greener
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Should add in some propanolol as well.
pretty sure that's what inderal is.

benzo's long-term aren't good. usually you just need to talk it out, try to adjust and improve your situation or anxiety or whatever feelings you have ... if that fails then SSRI or something may help. all in all, meds just put a band-aid on it and affects your ability to adapt because you think a pill will solve everything. i gotta say though, the first part is the toughest, and it's hard to find the right source needed to help/figure out the situation.

sjdsn135

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jul 13, 2008
Status
Resident [Any Field]
I've known a few people who have had similar problems in their lives, and in general it seems to be something you grow out of, maybe it's just a stage in your life.

Perhaps try getting to the point where you're like "f*@# it, I just don't care what anyone thinks anymore."

But I don't know maybe meds are the answer. See a psychiatrist?

May 30, 2010
Status
Medical Student
Yeah I was kidding about the meds. I think the best method is systematic desensitization. Put yourself out there as much as possible even if you don't want to. Eventually, you will stop caring about what others think and the anxiety will go away.

fahimaz7

15+ Year Member
Jul 18, 2004
Colorado
Status
Attending Physician

lol. He would't be getting his hands (legally) on any of the above mentioned therapies without some counseling to go with them. I don't see TCA's or phenelzine being prescribed for him anytime soon. Perhaps some Haldol though.

ThaliaNox

10+ Year Member
Oct 18, 2008
Status
Medical Student
I've known a few people who have had similar problems in their lives, and in general it seems to be something you grow out of, maybe it's just a stage in your life.

Perhaps try getting to the point where you're like "f*@# it, I just don't care what anyone thinks anymore."

I'd be careful with these kind of statements. Anxiety problems are not solved by telling people they'll "grow out of it" or to "stop caring what other people think." Try using a bit more empathy.

I've read that group therapy combined with designed desensitization where social interaction does not have a negative outcome can really help those suffering from social anxiety. Most schools have some sort of mental health services where med students can get help with things such as anxiety, depression or other problems. It'd be worth looking into if anxiety is making you want to avoid other people entirely.

Sep 1, 2009
Status
Non-Student
If you have a DSM-IV Dx of Social Anxiety Disorder, that's real and ccan be treated. Don't overdo it on the propranolol. Small dose PRN before a big exam or presentation may be ok, but inderal can have serious effects like any beta blocker if taken chronically.

sjdsn135

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jul 13, 2008
Status
Resident [Any Field]
I'd be careful with these kind of statements. Anxiety problems are not solved by telling people they'll "grow out of it" or to "stop caring what other people think." Try using a bit more empathy.

True, as I read my message again it is pretty ******ed, I retract those statements. I didn't mean to be rude. I was just saying the part about growing out of it because one of my friends had a real problem with it but now he doesn't at all, so that the OP will know that this isn't necessarily a permanent problem.

But yeah definitely try to get professional help.

TheHowardRoark

7+ Year Member
Jan 6, 2010
Status
Pre-Medical

I like this guys advice... lol. I had bad social anxiety back in the day... I asked my dad once how he went from being shy to being a leader in business... he told me "You just grow old and just don't give a sh!t anymore what anyone thinks!"

Prescribed drugs if that's your thing.

12 step programs (I think) are even better cause you will get to the root of your anxiety... and I don't like drugs. Plus, being in a group of people will help you learn how to deal with the real world aka medical school.

OP
S

samtheman

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Sep 2, 2006
Status
Pre-Medical
OP, where'd you go?
still here unfortunately. I still haven't left my apartment. i think it has gotten bad. i think i am going to drop out or withdraw or something until i get this taken care of, but i dont know what to do. I think i am becoming like howard hughes in the aviator. no joke. this is scary.

:scared:

fahimaz7

15+ Year Member
Jul 18, 2004
Colorado
Status
Attending Physician
Re-introduce yourself to everyone.
Anyone else have a hard time taking the OP seriously? He's posted saying that he took at LOA after passing boards with a 220. If that's the case, he's not even in class right now.

ama75

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Mar 18, 2008
Boston, MA
Status
Medical Student
still here unfortunately. I still haven't left my apartment. i think it has gotten bad. i think i am going to drop out or withdraw or something until i get this taken care of, but i dont know what to do. I think i am becoming like howard hughes in the aviator. no joke. this is scary.

:scared:
Why do you think you're behaving like this? How long has it been going on?

pingouin

just chillin'
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Apr 2, 2005
ocean adjacent
Status
Fellow [Any Field]
This thread has long ago crossed the line into giving medical advice, which SDN does not permit. OP, the general comments about finding time to meet with a psychotherapist and/or psychiatrist (whether through student health or some other means) are the best advice you've been given. Those people can help you determine what you want your next course of action to be in addressing this very serious medical problem.

Closing.

Status
Not open for further replies.