Spinach Dip

Delicious with nachos
5+ Year Member
Feb 10, 2012
Earth
Status
So in working on my secondaries, I came across the following line (wording may not be exact)

Please submit a Deans Letter of Certification for every university you have attended. Your application will not be considered until all letters have been received. ... Copies will not be accepted. ... All letters must be signed and on official letterhead. ...

Which leads me to one question:

WHAT IS THE POINT OF THIS!?!

Is there some valuable information predicting my chance of success hidden within this document (which I never even heard of prior to applying to med schools)? Or is it an obligatory and pedantic roadblock some adcom member came up with to waste my time and money?

Azete

2+ Year Member
Apr 15, 2015
Status
Medical Student
This just seems so excessive. Unless it was one of my top schools I would probably just keep my secondary money, or use it somewhere else.

allantois

5+ Year Member
Jan 27, 2013
Status
Other Health Professions Student
It's actually quite common for law schools; it just states that you have a clear disciplinary record.

In all honesty, it should not be very hard to obtain.

Goro

7+ Year Member
Jun 10, 2010
Somewhere west of St. Louis
Status
Non-Student
It's to prove that you've been a good boy.

WedgeDawg

not actually a dog
Staff member
Administrator
7+ Year Member
Mar 22, 2012
Status
Resident [Any Field]
I think this is for WashU. Apparently they've had problems with cheating in the past and this is ostensibly a preventative measure.

gonnif

Only 389 Days Until Next Presidential Election
Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Jul 26, 2009
The Big Bad Apple
Status
Non-Student
Once you have taken an offer of acceptance from a school, most schools will require you to have official transcripts from all previous post secondary institutions sent directly to them even though AMCAS has gotten and verified them. Why? Because it is the school that is legally responsible institution that will have its name on your diploma. So it is performing due diligence to make sure that all you have claimed in education is supported by documentation. By not doing so, and if a future issue arises that discovers fraudulent claims on your, it could impact their reputation, accreditation, impact funding, and open itself to legal action. A dean's letter is just an extension of that.

Pastamahn

2+ Year Member
May 29, 2015
Status
Medical Student (Accepted)
Out of curiosity, what does the Dean's Certification all cover? Is it basically saying you haven't received any formal punishment from your university?