Dean's Letter & LOR ... just wondering....

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

landa29x

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
i didn't realize the dean's letter contain pages of detailed character, personality, accomplishments of the applicant... so what happens when FMGs decide to take residency in the US maybe a few YEARSSSS after graduating medicine?, where do they get the Dean's letter and LOR if you probably don't know anyone else there anymore :confused:

Members don't see this ad.

landa29x said:
i didn't realize the dean's letter contain pages of detailed character, personality, accomplishments of the applicant... so what happens when FMGs decide to take residency in the US maybe a few YEARSSSS after graduating medicine?, where do they get the Dean's letter and LOR if you probably don't know anyone else there anymore :confused:

Once you sign up for ERAS , they will automatically generate a Dean's letter for you . (If you later get one , you can replace it afterwards).

LORs are best from US doctors , but basically should be written by anyone who know's you well enough / has worked close with you that they can write a strong recommendation .

You can check out more at ecfmg.org

Hope this helps !

landa29x said:

Once you sign up for ERAS , they will automatically generate a Dean's letter for you . (If you get one later, you can replace it afterwards).

LORs are best from US doctors , but basically should be written by anyone who know's you well enough / has worked close with you that they can write a strong recommendation .

Hope this helps !

Members don't see this ad :)
yesmeena said:
Once you sign up for ERAS , they will automatically generate a Dean's letter for you . (If you get one later, you can replace it afterwards).

Hope this helps !

ok thank. but the Dean's letter generated by ERAS? what's in it, what does it say, how will they describe the applicant?

landa29x said:
ok thank. but the Dean's letter generated by ERAS? what's in it, what does it say, how will they describe the applicant?

ERAS does not generate a deans letter for you!

on your application it will ask if you are going to have a deans letter. if you do, you simply mail it in, and designate it as the deans letter. if you don't, no biggie.

the format of the deans letter doesn't have to be identical to that whole multiple page deal that the US studs get. i used that as an outline, and gave a list of things that i needed in my letter, which i then gave to my dean (ie class rank, grades, extra curricular, yada yada yada). he then wrote me a one page letter that covered the high points. i mailed it in and called it "deans letter" and that was that.

neilc said:

on your application it will ask if you are going to have a deans letter. if you do, you simply mail it in, and designate it as the deans letter. if you don't, no biggie.

the format of the deans letter doesn't have to be identical to that whole multiple page deal that the US studs get. i used that as an outline, and gave a list of things that i needed in my letter, which i then gave to my dean (ie class rank, grades, extra curricular, yada yada yada). he then wrote me a one page letter that covered the high points. i mailed it in and called it "deans letter" and that was that.

my original question was about doctor's who decided to train in the US after a few years of practicing... so even if someone had been practicing in their home country for lets say 10 years.. they'd still have to go back to their Med school dean just to get a one-page dean's letter?

nope. you dont need the deans letter. there is a spot on ERAS that asks if you will submit one, just check no

neilc said:
If your school doesn't supply a dean's letter ECFMG will in fact generate one for you.

Meat Cookie said:
If your school doesn't supply a dean's letter ECFMG will in fact generate one for you.

again, no they do not...here is the info direct from the ECFMG website...they generate a statement that says you have no deans letter and to contact you for info. that is a far cry from generating a deans letter.

What can I do if I do not have a Dean's Letter/MSPE?

You can try to obtain a Dean's Letter/MSPE from your medical school, if time allows and your medical school issues Dean's Letters/MSPEs.

If you cannot provide a Dean's Letter/MSPE or medical school transcript, you can click "No" on page 15 of your Common Application Form (CAF). If you indicate that you will not provide a Dean's Letter/MSPE, the ERAS software will generate the following pseudo-MSPE for you: "This document is in lieu of the applicant's Dean's Letter/MSPE. Please contact the applicant with any questions you may have." It will be listed in the ADTS as Dean's Letter/MSPE, the same as an actual Dean's Letter/MSPE.

thanks Neil. I'm a second yr foreign MS and asking this because i might not be applying for residency until a few years after i graduate. I'm sure my school can provide the transcript years later but i'm not sure if they even issue dean's letter here. So you're saying it's ok not to have a dean's letter? Not having one, does it affect the decisions of program directors on accepting you or not? thx again.

landa29x said:
thanks Neil. I'm a second yr foreign MS and asking this because i might not be applying for residency until a few years after i graduate. I'm sure my school can provide the transcript years later but i'm not sure if they even issue dean's letter here. So you're saying it's ok not to have a dean's letter? Not having one, does it affect the decisions of program directors on accepting you or not? thx again.

i think having one helps. i came from a czech school, and i used the deans letter to basically translate my grades to GPA and to assign a class rank, as well as to do the other things a LOR should do (that is, speak very highly of you and give specific reasons to recommend you).

if you don't have one, it wont be a deal breaker. but getting one is always good. an idea is to get one and just save it til you do apply.

neilc said:
i think having one helps. i came from a czech school, and i used the deans letter to basically translate my grades to GPA and to assign a class rank, as well as to do the other things a LOR should do (that is, speak very highly of you and give specific reasons to recommend you).

if you don't have one, it wont be a deal breaker. but getting one is always good. an idea is to get one and just save it til you do apply.

o really? it's ok to have a letter dated 5 years prior? ok thanks so much..

landa29x said:
o really? it's ok to have a letter dated 5 years prior? ok thanks so much..

i think a 5 year old deans letter is a lot better than nothing. it at least can explain how you were ranked in class, you as a student, etc...