Dean's List

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Lukkie

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is it worth putting on your app (i guess one of your 15 activities?) somehow i was on that thing for 2 quarters.

Members don't see this ad.

Great tips for entering your "Work/Activities" for AMCAS

• Think carefully about which kind of experiences were really meaningful to you -- don't try to fill out space. We are very good at recognizing bs.
  • High school activities are important only to underline continuity during college at increased levels of participation, leadership or responsibility (e.g., you've played a musical instrument, participated in the high school orchestra and are now in the college orchestra, etc.)
  • Don't repeat what's obvious from answers to things like experience type, title description, contact name & title or organization name (e.g, don't repeat in the description that you worked on research with Dr. So and So -- that information is above the description of your experience).
  • If the organization in which you participated is not well known, give a brief description followed by the role you played there, specially if it involved any type of responsibility.
  • If you made Dean's list (or any type of honor like that) for more than one semester, use the description area to list the other semesters.
  • If you received any scholarship, fellowship or other honor that is not nationally recognizable, describe it briefly. Don't waste paper on scholarships that are awarded to half the population at the school.
  • If you were just a member of an organization, let us know how many meetings/week you attended and why you joined.
  • If you list a publication, make sure it's been accepted for publication and cite it properly. If the paper is just being "prepared for submission" or "submitted," include this fact as part of the research description in the part where you listed the research activity.
  • If listing a research experience that extends through the academic year as well as summer, use the description area to let us know the time invested during each of those periods (e.g., full time during the summer, 10 hrs/week in the fall/spring blah blah blah)
  • Remember that each experience you list is "up for grabs" if you are invited to interview -- you might be asked anything about it and it can make you or break you.

Members don't see this ad :)
If you made Dean's list (or any type of honor like that) for more than one semester, use the description area to list the other semesters.

I'm not sure what this asks for. Elaboration or explanation please?

Aren't Dean's lists based strictly on GPA? Since I made Dean's list every semester save the one below 3.5 this is what I assumed. If so, what is the benefit of listing it if they already know what grade you received in every one of your classes?

Dean's list at my school is top 5% only...I only ever made it when I had a 3.95+

Dean's list at my school is top 5% only...I only ever made it when I had a 3.95+

Hahaha, wow. If my school is top 5% as well, then that's just sad.

Dean's list at my school is 3.7+, so even the pre-pharm and pre-dent students get it.

(Joke)

Last edited:
I'm not sure what this asks for. Elaboration or explanation please?

instead of putting that you got on the dean's list in multiple boxes/sections, you group it altogether with an explanation of what qualifies you to be on the Dean's list at your school: eg top 5% or GPA above 3.xx.

At my school it is top 10-15% of the biological sciences division any one quarter. And you might want to check if the deans list honor is listed on your academic transcript, because for every time I made it, its listed right below the grades that quarter. I'm not sure if all colleges do this.....but it would be a waste of space if its already listed on your transcript.

At my school it is top 10-15% of the biological sciences division any one quarter. And you might want to check if the deans list honor is listed on your academic transcript, because for every time I made it, its listed right below the grades that quarter. I'm not sure if all colleges do this.....but it would be a waste of space if its already listed on your transcript.

Except the schools never see your actual transcript. Only amcas does.

I honestly don't see the point of putting dean's list on your AMCAS. It's essentially a designation that says you did well one semester/multiple semesters, which is apparent because schools have your transcript. You don't need to fill all 15 activities...