Death by Chiro

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PMR 4 MSK

Large Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
From International Journal of Clinical Practice

Deaths after Chiropractic: A Review of Published Cases

E. Ernst

Abstract and Introduction

Abstract

Objective: The aim of this study was to summarise all cases in which chiropractic spinal manipulation was followed by death.
Design: This study is a systematic review of case reports.
Methods: Literature searches in four electronic databases with no restrictions of time or language.
Main outcome measure: Death.
Results: Twenty six fatalities were published in the medical literature and many more might have remained unpublished. The alleged pathology usually was a vascular accident involving the dissection of a vertebral artery.
Conclusion: Numerous deaths have occurred after chiropractic manipulations. The risks of this treatment by far outweigh its benefit.

Let the arguments and flaming begin... :D

Members don't see this ad.

Neck911.com

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm not letting a chiro touch my... anything! Not just because of the risk because all procedures carry risk, but because the benefit is not there. Traction? Manipulation? No better than the natural healing process.

Manipulation works great for lots of acute and sub-acute patients, myself included. It is certainly not the only answer however. Nothing is.

Our old friend Prof. Ernst strikes again. Did you notice that this is 26 deaths since 1934? Of course, any death is a tragedy. But 26 in almost 80 years of literature? And not all of these were chiro cases. Let's not lose sight of the fact that thousands of people die every year just from NSAID complications, yet NSAIDS are handed out almost like candy. And Ernst has previously been criticized by his colleagues and, at least in one case, his co-authors for cherry-picking.

This issue of vertebral artery dissection has of course been discussed elsewhere in the literature. The 2008 'Task Force' report in Spine is perhaps the most exhaustive (for neck pain in general as well) and found that these strokes are very rare events. They are so rare it is difficult to even study them.

And SpineBound, the literature would largely disagree with you. Spinal manipulation has time and time again been shown to be at least as effective as anything to which it is compared, and better than placebo. It's even better when combined with exercise. There are dozens of RCTs looking at spinal manipulation for neck and back pain. The benefits ARE there, and they are there for acute, subacute and chronic pain patients.

Edit:
Speaking of strokes and NSAID side-effects, I just read this on Medscape:
From Heartwire

NSAID Use Associated With Future Stroke in Healthy Population

Sue Hughes

September 8, 2010 (Stockholm, Sweden) — Short-term use of nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs) was associated with an increased risk of stroke in a Danish population study including only healthy individuals.
Presenting the study at last week's European Society of Cardiology (ESC) 2010 Congress, Dr Gunnar Gislason (Gentofte University Hospital, Hellerup, Denmark) said the results could have "massive public-health implications."
"First we found an increased risk of MI with NSAIDs. Now we are finding the same thing for stroke. This is very serious, as these drugs are very widely used, with many available over the counter," Gislason told heartwire . "We need to get the message out to healthcare authorities that these drugs need to be regulated more carefully."
Cochair of the session at which the study was presented, Dr Robert Califf (Duke Clinical Research Institute, Durham, NC), agreed that the results raised a major public-health issue, especially in the US, where many NSAIDs were available without a prescription.
For the current study, Gislason and colleagues examined the risk of stroke and NSAID use in healthy individuals living in Denmark. He explained to heartwire that information on each individual in the Danish population is kept in various national registries. His team started with the whole population of Denmark aged over 10 years. To select just the healthy individuals, they excluded anyone admitted to the hospital within the past five years or those prescribed chronic medications for more than two years. This left a population of around half a million, who were included in the study. By linking to prescribing registries, the researchers found that 45% of these healthy individuals had received at least one prescription for an NSAID between 1997 and 2005. They then used stroke data from further hospitalization and death registries and estimated the risk of fatal and nonfatal stroke associated with the use of NSAIDs by Cox proportional-hazard models and case-crossover analyses.
Results showed that NSAID use was associated with an increased risk of stroke. This increased risk ranged from about 30% with ibuprofen and naproxen to 86% with diclofenac.
Risk of Stroke With Various Nsaids
NSAID HR (95% CI) for risk of stroke Ibuprofen 1.28 (1.14–1.44)Diclofenac 1.86 (1.58–2.19)Rofecoxib 1.61 (1.14–2.29)Celecoxib 1.69 (1.11–2.26)Naproxen 1.35 (1.01–1.79)

Gislason noted that there was also a dose-relationship found, with the increased risk of stroke reaching 90% (HR 1.90) with doses of ibuprofen over 200 mg and 100% (HR 2.0) with diclofenac doses over 100 mg. He pointed out that the results were particularly striking, given that this study was conducted in healthy individuals.
He conceded that his results could have some confounding but noted that the data were controlled for age, gender, and socioeconomic status and the patient population did not include those with chronic diseases. "We also have to think about the degree of confounding needed to nullify risk. It would have to increase risk four- to fivefold, which is very unlikely," he commented.
He said he did not find the results that surprising in view of the accumulating evidence of increased MI risk with these drugs, adding that the mechanism was probably the same. There have been several hypotheses about the mechanism linking NSAIDs with cardiovascular events, including increased thrombotic effect on platelets, the endothelium, and/or atherosclerotic plaques; increasing blood pressure; and effect on the kidneys and salt retention.
Gislason told heartwire that there is reluctance among the medical profession to limit the prescribing of these drugs. "The problem is that we don't have randomized trials, and it is very hard to change the habits of doctors. They have been using these drugs for decades without thinking about cardiovascular side effects."
He also stressed that the public needs to be protected by not allowing NSAIDs to be bought without a prescription. He has had some success in this regard in Denmark at least, where diclofenac became available over the counter recently, but after some of the MI data came out, Gislason's group campaigned the health authorities, and it has now become a prescription-only drug again. But he noted that many more NSAIDs are available over the counter in the US.
He believes the harmful effects of these agents are relevant to huge numbers of people. "If half the population takes these drugs, even on an occasional basis, then this could be responsible for a 50% to 100% increase in stroke risk. It is an enormous effect."
Heartwire © 2010 Medscape, LLC

Last edited:
What is the sham/control used in studies of manipulation of the spine, when looking at effectiveness? Is it even possible to set up a double-blind, placebo/sham controlled study?

I see chiropractic and osteopathic manipulation as a modality - a tool that can be used to reduce pain in selected individuals, while the body heals itself or time alone takes care of the problem. Similar to heat, estim, NSAIDs, opioids and others allopathic approaches to acute pain control. IT might help, it might not. But it won't fix the problem.

To me, most everything that is done TO the patient is passive and will not effect long-term changes, just short-term (often hours to a day or two), with the exception of steroid injections, which extends the temporary effect into days, weeks or months. None of it truely affects the underlying disease or disorder.

Things that the patient does themselves - active treatments such as exercise and lifestyle modifications are what are going to make the greatest difference long-term.

But we Americans don't want that - we want someone else to "fix" us. There's a quote I used to know from some historical physician, something along the lines of "The point of medicine is to amuse the patient while nature takes it's course." I find that very true.

What is the sham/control used in studies of manipulation of the spine, when looking at effectiveness? Is it even possible to set up a double-blind, placebo/sham controlled study?

I see chiropractic and osteopathic manipulation as a modality - a tool that can be used to reduce pain in selected individuals, while the body heals itself or time alone takes care of the problem. Similar to heat, estim, NSAIDs, opioids and others allopathic approaches to acute pain control. IT might help, it might not. But it won't fix the problem.

To me, most everything that is done TO the patient is passive and will not effect long-term changes, just short-term (often hours to a day or two), with the exception of steroid injections, which extends the temporary effect into days, weeks or months. None of it truely affects the underlying disease or disorder.

Things that the patient does themselves - active treatments such as exercise and lifestyle modifications are what are going to make the greatest difference long-term.

But we Americans don't want that - we want someone else to "fix" us. There's a quote I used to know from some historical physician, something along the lines of "The point of medicine is to amuse the patient while nature takes it's course." I find that very true.

The sham/control manipulation is usually placing the patient in a position similar to the 'true manipulation' position but without actually performing any type of high-velocity low-amplitude thrust. I read a suggestion once of having the subjects sedated so that they would have no way of knowing whether they subsequently received manipulation or not; interesting idea.

On the manipulation as a modality idea, I don't disagree much. It's just another tool that may be able to help a patient. As we've all seen, treatment of some patients needs to be multimodal. Sometimes patients make it my office early on, and sometimes they come to me after they've been everywhere else (i.e., after all the other tools have failed).

Passive treatments do have their limitations, I agree. The literature is becoming more and more clear that manipulation combined with active exercise is usually better than either alone. The chiropractic profession is evolving to include more emphasis on active rehab.

When you say that manipulation, like many other treatments, won't fix the problem, what do you understand to be the problem with many of these patients, particularly the ones with minimal positives on diagnostic testing?

Since I witnessed a patient with an immediate onset CVA due to a vertebral artery transsection from a high velocity forceful chiropractic manipulation a few years ago, I tell my patients absolutely no chiropractic for the neck. Not to mention scores of patients who saw chiropractors prior to first seeing me, and told me they had minor intermittent neck pain prior to a chiropractic adjustment (many did not go to the chiropractor for cervical issues but the chiro adjusted their neck anyway) but developed immediate onset of chronic severe intractable constant pain after the chiropractic manipulation. I have had a few thoracic patients with vertebral compression fractures made worse via chiro manipulation and one patient with a thoracic syrinx that became much worse after manipulation. However, my patients do well with lumbar manipulations by chiropractors, so I do refer for lumbar only manipulation.

Since I witnessed a patient with an immediate onset CVA due to a vertebral artery transsection from a high velocity forceful chiropractic manipulation a few years ago, I tell my patients absolutely no chiropractic for the neck. Not to mention scores of patients who saw chiropractors prior to first seeing me, and told me they had minor intermittent neck pain prior to a chiropractic adjustment (many did not go to the chiropractor for cervical issues but the chiro adjusted their neck anyway) but developed immediate onset of chronic severe intractable constant pain after the chiropractic manipulation. I have had a few thoracic patients with vertebral compression fractures made worse via chiro manipulation and one patient with a thoracic syrinx that became much worse after manipulation. However, my patients do well with lumbar manipulations by chiropractors, so I do refer for lumbar only manipulation.

Scores? Who is the chiro in your town, Dr. David Banner? Suggest to your patients that they not see him when he's mad or green.:)

Scores? Who is the chiro in your town, Dr. David Banner? Suggest to your patients that they not see him when he's mad or green.:)

do you suggest only sending referrals to the chiros who dont kill your patients? may be a little too late by that point. its not like they put up a sign. a good really chiro is an asset IMHO, but the trouble is they are hard to find.

When you say that manipulation, like many other treatments, won't fix the problem, what do you understand to be the problem with many of these patients, particularly the ones with minimal positives on diagnostic testing?

I skeptical of anyone who says they "know" what the problem is with these patients. I don't believe anyone really knows. Muscle? Ligaments? Tendons? Microdamage? Psych?

The title of this thread speaks volumes..........................

Most of you know where I stand on this subject matter. Need I type more? :)

The title of this thread speaks volumes..........................

Most of you know where I stand on this subject matter. Need I type more? :)

Your prior posts on the topic speak volumes. Please, no more typing.

I agree with whoever above stated no high velocity manipulation for the neck. Vertebral artery dissections aren't fun for caregiver or patient.

I also tell people to avoid chiros who recommend regular adjustments ad infinitum.