1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice

Death by Table

Discussion in 'Step I' started by Old_Mil, Mar 22, 2007.

1. Old_Mil

Old_Mil Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    ...they're in every board prep book I've seen. Tables that list translocations. Tables that list 3 characteristics of one disease or 4 of another. Tables that summarize genes. Clotting factors. Bugs. Drugs.

How are you guys memorizing all this stuff? I have a pretty good handle on the whys, but every time I stuff one more useless little fact (Cowabunga's Disease has a t(245,152) translocation) another one seems to fall out.

This memorizing is killing me.

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. EvoDevo

EvoDevo Forging a Different Path
    Moderator Emeritus 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Visual mnemonics and stories.

4. lord_jeebus

lord_jeebus 和魂洋才
    Moderator Physician 15+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Repetition. There's only 4 or 5 worth knowing.

Ignore

Ignore

Learn the pathways not the tables

Flash cards

5. godschosenone

godschosenone Never a bad joke
    2+ Year Member

Post Doc
    skip the ones that can be skipped.

i remember a lot of stuff because i make funny stories out of things that can best be memorized. when i take the exams and i see those things, i start to laugh, not because i don't remember them and it's better than crying, but because i remember the funny things that i made up to remember them. it's cool. you not only get the points, but you also get a good laugh. i wonder if everyone around me just thinks i am hearing voices.

this one's not really funny, but i am trying to show you how it works:

acute promyelocytic leukemia. a 15 yo and 17 yo cheerleader trade cars. the 15 yo gets the all trans am retinoic, and the 17 yo gets the M3 BMW. the 17 yo yells RA-RA (the receptor). both of them like A-Rod (the baseball player/auer rods) and are promiscuous so they like disseminated intravascular coagulation (DIC). now you'll be laughing when you are taking step 1.