Death by Table

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Old_Mil

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
...they're in every board prep book I've seen. Tables that list translocations. Tables that list 3 characteristics of one disease or 4 of another. Tables that summarize genes. Clotting factors. Bugs. Drugs.

How are you guys memorizing all this stuff? I have a pretty good handle on the whys, but every time I stuff one more useless little fact (Cowabunga's Disease has a t(245,152) translocation) another one seems to fall out.

This memorizing is killing me.

Members don't see this ad.

skip the ones that can be skipped.

i remember a lot of stuff because i make funny stories out of things that can best be memorized. when i take the exams and i see those things, i start to laugh, not because i don't remember them and it's better than crying, but because i remember the funny things that i made up to remember them. it's cool. you not only get the points, but you also get a good laugh. i wonder if everyone around me just thinks i am hearing voices.

this one's not really funny, but i am trying to show you how it works:

acute promyelocytic leukemia. a 15 yo and 17 yo cheerleader trade cars. the 15 yo gets the all trans am retinoic, and the 17 yo gets the M3 BMW. the 17 yo yells RA-RA (the receptor). both of them like A-Rod (the baseball player/auer rods) and are promiscuous so they like disseminated intravascular coagulation (DIC). now you'll be laughing when you are taking step 1.