Debating about Kaplan Online Course

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Two3

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I'll be a senior in the fall and I plan on applying to dental school next year. I haven't taken the DAT yet so it is my main priority right now.

So far I have purchased DAT/Math Destroyer, Cliff's AP bio, and Barron's AP bio (both 2013 editions). I am still looking into it all, but I plan on getting Chad's videos for Gen/OChem, and CrackThePAT/RC.

However, I was looking into more structured classes to sort of jump start my self-study, and Kaplan has a $200 discount on their online course if you sign up before April 30th.

$1200 is still a lot to shell out for an online course that I've heard mixed things about, but I'd be fully willing to do it if it will give me a better shot at a high DAT score. Do you guys think it would be a good idea? I feel like I can motivate myself to self study, but I think a general refresher and structure couldn't hurt since I haven't taken bio 1/2 or Gen/OChem for like 2 years (although I'm just torn as to whether or not it's worth $1200 bucks....)

What are your opinions on it? Do you think it is a good investment that is worth the money?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Honestly a lot of people were in your situation with not having these classes in a long time, and I just want to assure you that you do not need the kaplan course. If you have any kind of independent study skills then the resources that you have/are planning to get are more than enough. Chad is a great review of both general and organic chemistry. If you watch all his videos and take thorough notes that is all the review you will need. Couple that with destroyer and you're in great shape. Don't forget some free resources like Khan's videos for bio review and also the free quizzes you can do on DATqvault. The only other thing I would say may not be a bad idea to get is achiever or topscore so you can simulate the actual testing situation. ADEA also offers a free practice test and a practice OAT you can take.

Anyways, to answer your question save yourself the $1,200. As long as you are self motivated you will be better off without the course

Skip Kaplan and go Chad's and Destroyers. Use Achiever for your practice tests, and you should be set and save quite a bit of money. Not to disparage Kaplan, but for the price, the other material is far more effective.

If you need structure, check out DentalWorks schedule for the DAT that is stickied above in this forum.

Skip Kaplan and go Chad's and Destroyers. Use Achiever for your practice tests, and you should be set and save quite a bit of money. Not to disparage Kaplan, but for the price, the other material is far more effective.

If you need structure, check out DentalWorks schedule for the DAT that is stickied above in this forum.

amen. The DAT can be and has been dominated for less than $1000, including the cost of the exam itself (~$375!). I didn't go through a kaplan course, but I'd imagine the main redeeming factor of the course would be its ability to "force" you to study, which I think you said wouldn't be an issue.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you for the advice everyone, I have decided against the Kaplan Online Course. I figure with the money I'll save, I can rent Chad's videos for 90 days and not have to worry about running out of time, since in theory I could rent them for about 3 1/2 years straight for the same amount of money as Kaplan would've cost me ;)

I feel like the videos will give me enough structure to refresh the material and I can practice it with destroyer. The only thing I question is the PAT, is CDP enough to learn the material from scratch on my own and do well with it?

The only thing I question is the PAT, is CDP enough to learn the material from scratch on my own and do well with it?

CDP is a solid program. Some say that it's enough to score 20+ with it. Depends on how you good your perceptual ability is. I'd definitely recommend getting CDP to get your 'feet wet' as it were. Then utilize Achiever to go over some of the more complicated stuff you'll see.