Debating!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Hot Shot

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, I need ur feedback on this! I WOULD REALLY APPRECIATE IT!!

So, I m really confused about taking my Mcats this year, which is august 5th (wouldn't that be too late tho?) Another thing is that I m lagging on my application process. I haven't started my personal statement yet, and still dont have letters of recommendations from my professors (thats because i havent even asked them about it yet). I can probably get all the application process done right after i take my mcats (thats if i take my mcats this year) and apply to med schools this year!!

i have a:
cGPA 3.365
Science GPA 3.390
non-science GPA 3.323

I want to take MCATS this year, but on practice tests, i m getting somewhere around 12/11/(07,08) BS:pS:V. Any inputs if i shud take my mcats this year, and score somewhere around a 30-32 range with that GPA and apply to med-school, or shud i wait another year, get mcat scores above 35 (cuz i need improvement on verbal) and bump my GPA up to somewhere around 3.55/3.6. Any inputs are welcome!! For once, i just want to take these mcats and get it over with, but on the other side, i wanna get into medschool in the first try!

On top of that, i have:
shadowing ~ 100 hours
Volunteer ~ 150 hours
No research though
Work Experience
Assistant TA for general biology
and i can get some nice letters of recommendations
i also have volunteering from outside america (a childrens hospital in a developing country).

waiting for ur replies guys.

thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Your GPA is slightly below average I think, but probably just fine for DO schools. A MCAT score of 31-32 would be significantly above average. If you can lock that in and apply broadly, chances are good you will get in somewhere even applying late.

The slow step for you is going to be getting those LORs. If you are serious about applying this cycle you need to get on those letter writers NOW. Typical lag time for LORs is several months, unless you have a really close relationship with the writer and can get them to pump it out (not likely). It sounds like you have a good chance if you can get that app out soon, but that might be difficult if you haven't even asked your LOR people yet.

I agree with the LOR thing, but i might be able to get atleast 3 in no time. and the other thing, i dont want to get into a DO school. i dont even know the difference between the two. and u dont think taking my mcat is august and getting my scores back in september is not too late? just guide me through it!! thanks a lot

Members don't see this ad :)
i dont want to get into a DO school.

You posted this in the pre-DO section. If you want MD opinions you should post there, or better yet have a moderator just move the thread. The advice differs significantly depending on what kinds of schools you are applying to.

sorry guys, i m new to this. and i thought this was the "mcat section" but i will do that. but really, how different is DO from MD?

sorry guys, i m new to this. and i thought this was the "mcat section" but i will do that. but really, how different is DO from MD?

No problem. You should look around this section to answer your question regarding MD v. DO. It is a topic that we discuss all the time and you'll get much more information if you just look at what's already been said. Best of luck with your application!

EDIT: this sticky thread is a good place to start.

Search button my friend, search. DO = MD, the only difference(s) are that DOs receive extra training ~200 hours in something called Osteopathic Manipulative Treatment and that they have a more holistic approach to the human body. DOs can do everything an MD can do, practice in every specialty and discipline imaginable.

gotcha guys! but any additional info is always welcome!! actually, i need it! thanks tho

Search button my friend, search. DO = MD, the only difference(s) are that DOs receive extra training ~200 hours in something called Osteopathic Manipulative Treatment and that they have a more holistic approach to the human body. DOs can do everything an MD can do, practice in every specialty and discipline imaginable.

Truth.

gotcha guys! but any additional info is always welcome!! actually, i need it! thanks tho

I would be inclined to help you but your "I have no intention of going to a DO school" comment has convinced me otherwise

Use the search function, it does wonders:idea:

If MD is your first choice you're going to need a **** ton more research, try to get at least a semesters worth and aim for a bit higher than 32 on the mcat. Also try to get some leadership credentials in, like become an officer for a club or something.

Hey guys, I need ur feedback on this! I WOULD REALLY APPRECIATE IT!!

I want to take MCATS this year, but on practice tests, i m getting somewhere around 12/11/(07,08) BS:pS:V. Any inputs if i shud take my mcats this year, and score somewhere around a 30-32 range with that GPA and apply to med-school, or shud i wait another year, get mcat scores above 35 (cuz i need improvement on verbal) and bump my GPA up to somewhere around 3.55/3.6. Any inputs are welcome!! For once, i just want to take these mcats and get it over with, but on the other side, i wanna get into medschool in the first try!

You don't say...

I agree with the LOR thing, but i might be able to get atleast 3 in no time. and the other thing, i dont want to get into a DO school. i dont even know the difference between the two. and u dont think taking my mcat is august and getting my scores back in september is not too late? just guide me through it!! thanks a lot

You seem to have not out this whole medical school thing. You're aware that medical school is four years long and a residency period is required afterward, right? Just making sure we have the basics down... Anyway, you might think you can get three people to quickly write LORs for you, but I wouldn't put it off at all. Some people are notoriously bad at promptly providing letters.