Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hello,
I've been mulling over this for several weeks and trying to decide what to do. I hope someone on this forum can offer me advice or tips I haven't thought of.
I’ve been accepted to a DO school and am 95% sure I will be attending this fall. I’ve paid my deposits, found an apartment, etc. I liked the school and think I would be happy/do well there. Of course, I’m terrified about the tuition. I’m in my late 30s, and haven't had any debt for many years. I love that feeling!
I work for an academic physician and every time I talk to him about the debt I’m about to take on, he says “don’t worry about the debt… you got in somewhere, just go.” And all my friends/family are excited that I’m going to medical school… But the debt is almost all I think about. Tuition is about $50,000 year and living expenses another $16,000, though I hope to reduce this by having a roommate. In addition, I have enough savings to cover most of my living expenses for the first two years. Still, I’m looking at the prospect of a large amount of loans AND less time to pay off that debt because of my age. In addition, I’m interested in primary care so I may try for an HSLC scholarship next year. I’m interested in loan forgiveness too but I know those may not be available in the future. Finally, I COULD tap into retirement savings (Roth IRA and State employment plan) but this seems like a bad idea.
I keep thinking about going back to school full time to make myself more competitive for my state MD program just so I can reduce my student loan burden. But we only have 1 in-state program where I live – is it worth the risk to stay and try and get in again? I’ve applied twice and the Dean suggested that before I try again, I go back to school full time. I could move somewhere else with more state medical schools but I know it’s not easy to establish residency as a full time student. Furthermore, there is no guarantee I would get in to a cheaper program if I reapplied… (I’d want to bump up my MCAT score too). FYI, I can’t stay at my job and take classes because we’re out of funding.
So… what to do?
Go with the DO program and do what I can to reduce loan burden/pay off quickly?
Try for a cheaper MD program?
I've been mulling over this for several weeks and trying to decide what to do. I hope someone on this forum can offer me advice or tips I haven't thought of.
I’ve been accepted to a DO school and am 95% sure I will be attending this fall. I’ve paid my deposits, found an apartment, etc. I liked the school and think I would be happy/do well there. Of course, I’m terrified about the tuition. I’m in my late 30s, and haven't had any debt for many years. I love that feeling!
I work for an academic physician and every time I talk to him about the debt I’m about to take on, he says “don’t worry about the debt… you got in somewhere, just go.” And all my friends/family are excited that I’m going to medical school… But the debt is almost all I think about. Tuition is about $50,000 year and living expenses another $16,000, though I hope to reduce this by having a roommate. In addition, I have enough savings to cover most of my living expenses for the first two years. Still, I’m looking at the prospect of a large amount of loans AND less time to pay off that debt because of my age. In addition, I’m interested in primary care so I may try for an HSLC scholarship next year. I’m interested in loan forgiveness too but I know those may not be available in the future. Finally, I COULD tap into retirement savings (Roth IRA and State employment plan) but this seems like a bad idea.
I keep thinking about going back to school full time to make myself more competitive for my state MD program just so I can reduce my student loan burden. But we only have 1 in-state program where I live – is it worth the risk to stay and try and get in again? I’ve applied twice and the Dean suggested that before I try again, I go back to school full time. I could move somewhere else with more state medical schools but I know it’s not easy to establish residency as a full time student. Furthermore, there is no guarantee I would get in to a cheaper program if I reapplied… (I’d want to bump up my MCAT score too). FYI, I can’t stay at my job and take classes because we’re out of funding.
So… what to do?
Go with the DO program and do what I can to reduce loan burden/pay off quickly?
Try for a cheaper MD program?