debt level?

Started by jesse14
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

jesse14

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
So, i'm in my last year of my MSc.PT and I just figured out that once i'm done I will owe about $50,000 😱 As a new grad, i don't expect to make anymore then about 55K to start and i'm just wondering how manageable that debt is with the projected income i will make....keep in mind taxes (which really cut into that salary)...What are other PT students leaving school with in terms of debt?

Thanks!
 
Respectfully, I must decline to say how much debt I incurred (private school and living in NYC, clinicals in LA, San Fran, San Jose, and Vail can really add up!).

However, from experience you can either 1) consolidate for better rates, pay a larger premium and be debt free in less than 10 years, but be broke for those years 2) keep your rates, pay it off in 20 years, and use some of that money to invest in something that might give you better returns than the interest incurred 3) work 2 jobs (home health, weekends) 4) work as a traveling PT (they can help with tuition and have great benefits)

I'm sure there are other options. Hopefully this helps.