Debt

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Hawkeye

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have already posted this question on the Medstudent (Osteopahtic) board, but I want to hear what other premeds think also. My biggest concern about going to an osteopathic school is the accumulation of a large debt. I love the osteopathic profession and would much rather be a D.O. But at the same time, I am considering my state school (University of Iowa) which will be much less expensive. Does anyone have any thoughts, concerns, or advice about the accumulation of this debt of $100,000+? I really do not want to go into the military, so are they any other scholarships that would help cover the expenses? Thanks in advance!

GO HAWKEYES

Members don't see this ad.

Yes, there are a at least 2 other opportunities. They are both through the gov't. They pay your tuition and you serve in underserved areas in the U.S. I plan on applying to them both. "underserved" can be rural, urban, prisons, reservations... - anywhere they deem to be underserved. There is a min. number of years (2 yrs. I think) to serve and after that it is year for year ($/work).

Hawkeye,

I have also thought about the money that I'll probably owe everyone in this world by the end of medical school. You see... I would probably have to pay for med school through loans. However, I 've realized that $100,000 is a small price to pay for my lifelong dream to come true. I'll probably earn that back in a few years anyways. But... if you're still worried about the money, there are scholarships out there for graduate programs, including medical schools. Just look them up on the internet. I am sure you'll find tons of them. Good luck!