Decelerated Medical School

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Cpt Starbuck

Finally on Earth!!!
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was wondering if anyone had experience with any of the osteopathic schools and decelerated curriculum. Whether that is an open option or only a "necessary" option? I know many schools just make you repeat years and don't give the option but there hasn't been a thread on this in a few years so I figured I'd get some feedback. :)

Members don't see this ad.

There is such a program at TouroCOM-NY. It's a five year program where you spend three years doing the "first two" basic science years. Your clinical years (traditionally 3 and 4) are still done in two years.

I think "necessary" is open to interpretation, but in my opinion, it's not something you'd want to do. You need to learn how to handle the stress and time constraints of medical school in order to be able to survive your third and fourth years. If you can't learn how to effectively manage your time early on, you're going to have a seriously difficult time adjusting to your clinical years (or so I speculate, as I have not started them yet). On top of that, you don't get a break on tuition, so instead of paying 4 years tuition you have to pay a full 5 years.

I think it is a curse disguised as a blessing with the extra year anyway. Hundreds of thousands of students have made it through medical school in 4 years just fine. I'm sure you can too. ;)

Members don't see this ad :)
UNE will also let you decelerate. But you have to ask - they won't offer first. First two years spread out to 3 - last two years are the same busy schedule for everyone.

UNE will also let you decelerate. But you have to ask - they won't offer first. First two years spread out to 3 - last two years are the same busy schedule for everyone.

I was surprised to read that MD schools embrace this with a positive aspect while the threads I've read here are mostly negative. I understand the prospects of remediation but I'm looking to extend school by a year if necessary due to family issues that will happen in the foreseeable future. As well all grad programs, most of them have policies in place but getting to those policies on their sites can be difficult.

I was told MSU-COM has a program as well where you pay the say for 4 years tuition but its spread out. As someone with sick parents, as well as children on the way, I'd like to have a school that at least has a policy set to make things easier on myself if the worse is set to happen.

Just because someone might want to take a year slower doesn't mean they won't be equipped later in life. I read on SDN that one student took 2 leave of absences due to pregnancy during school. So not a big deal. Others made it through with minimal time off. Some moved t heir schedules around and got a few extra months off. There are alots of options for family emergencies. I already know what I'd like to do if these things hapen and now I'm looking for schools that accommodate.

I believe UMDNJ also allows this. it is a personal choice for various reasons. You cant just say that it was because of the curriculum. Some people have family or financial obligation making it a nice option.

4 or 5 years, in scheme of an entire medical education years, I dont see one year making a huge difference.

That seems like a long time to space out your first two years. I wonder how much that will hurt your performance on step 1.

Posted via Mobile Device

I would like a decelerated option also, in case things with the family need more attention, however I can understand how schools would be hesitant to offer this.

Unfortunately, they do have to think of their revenue. With the limited number of seats available, they are committing one of those to you for that particular class. If for some reason you take time off, you are possibly going to be taking spots from the subsequent class. Also, the entire school budget is based on the tuition/fees that they expect to get from the students. A smaller school may have a fairly tight budget, so the loss of 20-30K+/yr/student may cause budget issues.

I'm not trying to say that it would make you any less prepared to be a doctor, I'm not sure how it would effect boards. Just for the average school to accomodate this would be difficult unless they have a specific pathway set up for this purpose, if they did it would be great, but again most med students are sick of school already and want to get it over with, so I'm not too sure how popular it would be.

Almost all schools with accommodate you if you have a family emergency, but going in planning on a decelerated program is different than something happening. We are all fully aware that family members become sick, you become sick, you become pregnant, etc, but in all honesty (if I interpreted your post correctly that children on the way = you're currently pregnant) you might want to wait a year before starting medical school. As you yourself read, people who are pregnant or have new babies take leaves of absence, not a decelerated program. I simply don't think it's feasible to nurse and take care of a baby and still handle the rigors of medical school. I'm not saying it can't be done, but you're talking about two different things.

I don't know your personal situation, so it is of course up to you to decide. If you anticipate having sick parents to take care of in the near future, this is something you would want to talk to the schools about and ask them how you handle these situations. If you're going to be having children very soon, it might be advisable to wait to start medical school instead of getting a few months in, taking a leave of absence, and then starting up again.

Best of luck and I hope you find a program that can work for you!

I was surprised to read that MD schools embrace this with a positive aspect while the threads I've read here are mostly negative. I understand the prospects of remediation but I'm looking to extend school by a year if necessary due to family issues that will happen in the foreseeable future. As well all grad programs, most of them have policies in place but getting to those policies on their sites can be difficult.

I was told MSU-COM has a program as well where you pay the say for 4 years tuition but its spread out. As someone with sick parents, as well as children on the way, I'd like to have a school that at least has a policy set to make things easier on myself if the worse is set to happen.

Just because someone might want to take a year slower doesn't mean they won't be equipped later in life. I read on SDN that one student took 2 leave of absences due to pregnancy during school. So not a big deal. Others made it through with minimal time off. Some moved t heir schedules around and got a few extra months off. There are alots of options for family emergencies. I already know what I'd like to do if these things hapen and now I'm looking for schools that accommodate.

I know people have diff circumstances and lifestyles. I am sure you can talk to the administration staff about yours..i don't see why you cant be accomodated. Also you shouldn't care about any negative vibe you get here on SDN or when you get to med school...everyone has an opinion when you do things differently than them but bottom line if you can pass the same curriculum you have the right to defend your situation. Good luck!

I would like a decelerated option also, in case things with the family need more attention, however I can understand how schools would be hesitant to offer this.

Unfortunately, they do have to think of their revenue. With the limited number of seats available, they are committing one of those to you for that particular class. If for some reason you take time off, you are possibly going to be taking spots from the subsequent class. Also, the entire school budget is based on the tuition/fees that they expect to get from the students. A smaller school may have a fairly tight budget, so the loss of 20-30K+/yr/student may cause budget issues.

I'm not trying to say that it would make you any less prepared to be a doctor, I'm not sure how it would effect boards. Just for the average school to accomodate this would be difficult unless they have a specific pathway set up for this purpose, if they did it would be great, but again most med students are sick of school already and want to get it over with, so I'm not too sure how popular it would be.

you heard me...

Procrastinating two days before my boards, randomly clicked the 'recent posts' and found this... (MD student btw).

I don't think there are any specific programs that 'pride' themselves on having a decelerated option, because the majority of students who take longer than 4 years to finish (apart from dual degree) have academic weaknesses. I know that Saint Louis Univ (I think) has a semi-formal program set up for decel, last time I talked to a friend there. The fact is, at most medical schools, there will be a few people who fail every year, and have to retake -- as such, are accelerated "de facto" and so pretty much every school should have it.

HOWEVER, it's potentially frowned upon when it comes to applying for residencies. Why do I say this? On the MSPE (the standardized Dean's Letter that pretty much summarizes you, with anecdotal quotes from your evals, etc.), the first section starts off asking basic questions, like whether the student has had any breaks / decelerated / etc. and I believe that your dean has to explain it. Something to think about / adjust for, wherever you go.

Agreed. I imagine that you wouldn't really want to purposely decelerate (it wouldn't be preferred, in other words), although there most likely options at most, if not all, places for those who have situations, or emergencies, that necessitate it. The prevailing culture seems to suggest that it could potentially be viewed in a negative light, or at least a sound explanation for the deceleration would be potentially necessary. If you anticipate an issue that could interrupt your schooling, it may be best to consider deferring for a year until it has been settled, or you find some sort of solution. Otherwise, continue forward and if something unanticipated happens, your school can work with you to make your education successful.

Last edited:

You also have to remember that many DO schools don't get state funding, or if they do it is a fraction of what many allopathic schools recieve. DO schools also depend more on tuition. It only makes sense to me that they would charge a 5th year of tuition...

I know that Saint Louis Univ (I think) has a semi-formal program set up for decel, last time I talked to a friend there.

The Medical College of Wisconsin has an optional 5 year track as well (either for academic trouble or things such as research).

HOWEVER, it's potentially frowned upon when it comes to applying for residencies.

I posted the question about 5 years ago before entering med school because I thought perhaps I needed extra time due to family. The response from pretty much everyone was in agreement with yours. It will most likely be detrimental due to many PDs thinking that perhaps the applicant will not be able to handle the rigors and committment of internship.

I'm glad I finished med school in four years. I don't think I could take any extra years, both because of time and also money (mainly the lack of money). It's hard to be a single student who's broke; it's harder to have a family and be broke.

DMU has a 5 year program, no extra cost. But I think you have to do poorly to get into it.

OSUCOM has the Bridge program. It is a five year program. The first three years are the basic science classes and then the last two years are the clinical rotations. However, they only accept like 8 applicants to this program. I talked to some bridge program med students last year and they liked being apart of the bridge program. There is a downside though. The four year med students have to make a 70% in their classes to pass but the bridge program students have to make an 85% to pass.