December....

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

eirinn152

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was wondering if any of the 4th years here were able to do an easy December elective and get away with doing a few interviews at the same time.....

Members don't see this ad.

It is really dependent on your attending. I did ID in December, which is not exactly an easy clerkship. However, both of my attendings were very supportive of my having to interview for residency. One did make me write a few short papers (1-2 pages) on some of the major things that she discussed during my absence. However, she gave me until mid-January to turn them in. :D I just made sure that I worked really hard on the days that I was there!

I know that a lot of people in my class took a didactic anatomy course in which all they had to do was come in and dissect a certain part of the body and do a powerpoint on the anatomy of whatever structures that they were interested in. The time commitment was minimal and everyone seemed to really enjoy the course. I wish that I had thought of doing it!

It also depends on your school's policy. My school let us take up to 5 days off per month for interviewing (except during ER and sub-I)

It is really dependent on your attending. I did ID in December, which is not exactly an easy clerkship. However, both of my attendings were very supportive of my having to interview for residency. One did make me write a few short papers (1-2 pages) on some of the major things that she discussed during my absence. However, she gave me until mid-January to turn them in. :D I just made sure that I worked really hard on the days that I was there!

I know that a lot of people in my class took a didactic anatomy course in which all they had to do was come in and dissect a certain part of the body and do a powerpoint on the anatomy of whatever structures that they were interested in. The time commitment was minimal and everyone seemed to really enjoy the course. I wish that I had thought of doing it!

...allows something like 4 days... TOTAL to take off for interviews, for the YEAR.... consequently, I will be using December and Jan as my two months off to ensure I have time to make my interviews :eek:. It would have been nice to have had some time off in the spring, but oh well, that is how the cookie crumbles...