Decide by tomorrow: UVM vs BU

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lyalya5

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was accpeted to UVM and pretty happy about it. Now I have a chance to go to BU and they need an answer tomorrow. Can anyone share some pro's /con's.
Thanks a lot.

Members don't see this ad.

dude, come to BU
personally, i love boston
but follow ur heart, thats what i did

It depends upon many factors. Essentially, both schools will serve you well. Are you from Vermont or Maine? If so, then I'd choose Vermont because of financial aid. Mainers, I believe, if eligible, recieve up to $25,000 in forgivable loans from their home state. And instate for Vermont is reasonable.

BU has a traditional first two years that follows most schools. Vermont allows you to start clerkships after 18months. BU has greater diversity of patients. BU serves the underserved in an urban setting.

Housing near BU is crazy expensive. Burlington isn't cheap, but cheaper. You're lucky, both are good schools and you'll be fine in either place.
Good luck.

Members don't see this ad :)
I used to live in Boston, and in terms of cities, there isn't anything you can't find. Seriously, anything.

I visited Burlington for a weekend, and while it was cute and quaint and all that for about a day, it started to get old before I even left. Imagine 4 years.

BU is pretty well known across the country, UVM not so much.

But like the above poster said, whatever you choose you'll be fine.

Thanks to all of you guys who answered. I decided to go to BU. In the end it came down to being closer to my family and getting a better financial aid package. I really liked UVM and felt very comfortable there and if it was in a city there would be no question. But Burlington is really small and so far away from everything. I just hope I am not making a mistake. I was supposed to send the money and acceptance today but I just keeping postponing.

Did this ever happen to you? Your gut is telling you one thing, but it just does not make sense....

lyalya5 said:
Did this ever happen to you? Your gut is telling you one thing, but it just does not make sense....

Good things in life never make sense.. I'm glad you're following your heart.