Decided

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

coffeeplz

Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
People may disagree with me, but I feel that UCLA > UCSD. P/F is a MASSIVE stress reducer and basically saves you so much unnecessary stress.

Reactions: 1 user
I would go with UCSD. The difference isn't 180k, more like 300-400k given the currently extremely high interest rates and the fact that the Biden Administration will be resuming interest accumulation around the exact time which you will be starting school this fall.

Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
People may disagree with me, but I feel that UCLA > UCSD. P/F is a MASSIVE stress reducer and basically saves you so much unnecessary stress.
Valid points, but UCSD is still a solid and very underrated school. The difference between the schools is fairly negligible (rank 19 vs. 20), even w/ a similar COA. So I'd go with UCSD. The cost difference is def not worth it, and I don't see UCLA providing any significant extra opportunities over UCSD.

Reactions: 2 users
Take the full COA scholarship. 180k plus interest is a large chunk of money. UCSD is a great school, congrats!

Reactions: 1 users
The scholarship is huge- congrats!! I wouldn't take that option lightly, but at the end of the day I think its also important to ask yourself how you will feel with your decision once you're an attending and have training and tuition behind you. Will you have more "what ifs" if you go to one program vs another? Feeling confident in your decision will help you get the most out of any choice and program. I recently made a decision to go to the more expensive program because an attending mentor reassured me that I would be able to navigate finances, but I couldn't redo years of my life or eliminate regrets. Again, I wouldn't discount that amazing scholarship, but just wanted to add additional food for thought.

The scholarship is huge- congrats!! I wouldn't take that option lightly, but at the end of the day I think its also important to ask yourself how you will feel with your decision once you're an attending and have training and tuition behind you. Will you have more "what ifs" if you go to one program vs another? Feeling confident in your decision will help you get the most out of any choice and program. I recently made a decision to go to the more expensive program because an attending mentor reassured me that I would be able to navigate finances, but I couldn't redo years of my life or eliminate regrets. Again, I wouldn't discount that amazing scholarship, but just wanted to add additional food for thought.
I think this is a fair point if you're comparing UCLA to a mid-tier or low-tier option. UCSD, however, is an outstanding medical school and exceptionally well-respected on the west coast. And if not super well-known nationally, it will be eventually as the entire university has grown in stature tremendously in recent years.

If the cost is 180k at UCLA (including cost of living), that is not bad considering you will lose a year of attending salary with the masters at UCSD.

Reactions: 1 users
Disclosure: WL at UCLA

I think UCSD is the move here considering it’s a very good school, borderline T20, at zero cost. Not to mention you’ll be part of PRIME and do a 1 year masters at a good institution. I feel like UCSD + prime could look better to residency directors vs just UCLA. This is not to say the UCSD doesn’t have its issues which you’ve already pointed out (mandatory classes, graded clinicals, 2 year preclinical). UCLA seems like the most comfy option but UCSD feels like it’s better career wise and financially.

Thank you so much everyone for all of the advice! Your input has been super helpful in making my decision. Thank you and best wishes!