Decided

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

username0902

Reaction score
Decided thank you :)

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
15k is a drop in the bucket. Money shouldn't have an impact on your choice here. I feel like you'd be happier at JHU plus P/F clinicals is really nice.

Reactions: 5 users
And to add on to the last person, you also have a potential interest in an MPH. While Columbia has a great MPH program too, Hopkins MPH program is THE program lol.

Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
JHU for the reasons explained above.

Reactions: 1 user
Congrats on your successes this cycle ❤️ It sounds like your heart is already leaning one way and you just want the validation from us here, so I'm here to tell you – go with what your heart says! Good luck!

Reactions: 1 users
I agree with those above. I was also torn between these two for similar reasons and am happy to chat if you'd like! I suggest going where you think your quality of life will thrive.

Both institutions are strong for the parameters you mentioned.

Go to where you feel you would be happiest. I personally would recommend against JHU, as their last class's recent conduct suggests deeply rooted issues in the culture of their institution. During several recent events, students have verbally - and in one case - physically assaulted blue collar workers because they did not serve to them alcohol that they felt rightfully entitled to because of their status (regardless of the rules imposed on the event). They verbally berated and denigrated the workers for their income, and proceeded to steal bottles (and on a separate occurrence, urinate in a museum elevator):

Screen Shot 2023-01-19 at 9.18.57 PM.jpg

Normally, I do not promote "airing of institutional laundry." But in this case, which is not unique but a pattern of behavior across multiple instances, I believe it should come into consideration when evaluating school choice (the weight of which is your choice to assign). While I am unsure if similar behavior has been conducted at Columbia, and thus cannot be completely balanced, I do not believe this should be overlooked.

Last edited:

Go to where you feel you would be happiest. I personally would recommend against JHU, as their last several classes' recent conduct suggests deeply rooted issues in the culture of their institution. During several recent events, students have verbally - and in one case - physically assaulted blue collar workers because they did not serve to them alcohol that they felt rightfully entitled to because of their status (regardless of the rules imposed on the event). They verbally berated and denigrated the workers for their income, and proceeded to destroy an art museum (including urinating in a museum elevator):

View attachment 370227

Normally, I do not promote "airing of institutional laundry." But in this case, which is not unique but a pattern of behavior across multiple instances, I believe it should come into consideration when evaluating school choice (the weight of which is your choice to assign). While I am unsure if similar behavior has been conducted at Columbia, and thus cannot be completely balanced, I do not believe this should be overlooked.
Were these medical students?

Go to where you feel you would be happiest. I personally would recommend against JHU, as their last several classes' recent conduct suggests deeply rooted issues in the culture of their institution. During several recent events, students have verbally - and in one case - physically assaulted blue collar workers because they did not serve to them alcohol that they felt rightfully entitled to because of their status (regardless of the rules imposed on the event). They verbally berated and denigrated the workers for their income, and proceeded to destroy an art museum (including urinating in a museum elevator):

View attachment 370227

This is particularly egregious but not necessarily surprising considering JHU's recruitment efforts, lol.

I think proximity to home & P/F grading gives JHU the edge!

Reactions: 1 user
I personally find it hard to believe that these are events for medical students at JHU for a couple of reasons.
1. When I was at Hopkins, our Spring formals were always held at the medical campus, within the hospital premise and with a huge presence of faculty/attendings. Other parties were held in clubs or pubs at Federal Hill.
2. The only thing near R House for medical students is a community clinic run by Hopkins physicians. It's not a place vast majority of med students would go.
3. Also... R House lacks the necessary hardware/infrastructure for parties. It's a food court (with a great many options btw)... unless things have changed since I left.

Update: Just spoke to a couple of current med students at Hopkins. They did not receive such a correspondence.

Last edited: