Deciding b/t UHS, Nova, AZCOM, allopathic

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

zhuge

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score

So it has come down to this. I have the extreme honor and privilege to decide between a few favorable institutions. What I need an opinion on now is how to decide between these choices. Here is how I see it so far with the ones that I have been accepted to:
1. UHS COM - This school was quite impressive with materials sent and the presentation on the day of the interview. Talking with students also gave me the impression they loved going there and the facilities were impressive. Downside was that it is not in a great area and they have just changed the curriculum that will have to be experimented with to see if it is a better system.
2. Nova Southeastern COM ? I also liked this school upon visiting it and the students were extremely helpful and nice even though they had a major exam in a few hours. I heard nothing of the problems that I read on the discussion board for that school but it does concern me. As for the interview process, I found it to be quite harmless and Dr. Terry did not grill me on anything, which I can?t say for the rest of the people in my group. I know a doctor that graduated from there and she?s a great person so that helps. And lastly, you can?t beat the weather.
3. AZCOM ? This school is very new with the first graduating class just coming this past May and that concerns me since there is no track record. The college itself was very nice and new of course, but there was construction still happening and most of the surrounding land was barren, which bodes for more construction in the future. The facilities they did have were great, even with the less-than-informative tour I received. I did like the fact that rotations were ambulatory based and the surrounding area was nice.
4. Allopathic schools - I won?t talk about this since this is an osteopathic board and I am leaning toward osteopathy but if anyone has reason for the contrary I will be happy to listen.

That is how I see it so far. They are all great schools which is why it is such a hard decision. Any contribution would help and I would like to hear from anyone that has been to these schools on how they would choose or have any additional information.

Members don't see this ad.

Looks can sometimes be deceiving...go with the school with the best board scores, best 3rd year rotation spots and best placement of students into residencies of choice.
Also look at price.
By the way, if you want to allopathic, go for it. Don't hold back

Go with the school that you like best. Do not pick a school simply because it has better board scores than another school or because its clinical rotations are at a perceived better institution(s). All of this will be worthless if you are not totally happy with your choice. Look at these things sure but weigh in other factors such as weather, surroundings, proximity to friends/family, etc.
I personally turned down UHS in KC because almost every student I talked to didn't like it and seemed to think that the school didn't care about them or their future. They felt like the school was interested in their money only! This is what I perceived it to be. I also didn't like it because of location, weather, and the attitude of several administrators/profs I talked to while on location. This is just my view. I could have been wrong about the students feelings and the administrations attitudes. Once again, go with your own heart and feelings on this one!

Members don't see this ad :)
What I am trying to say is that clinical rotations and opportunities found during rotations may be a reflection of the school. If the school only rotates at small hospitals in rural areas, and you want to work at a university level oncology ward...well, you may wish to pursue a more prestigious institution with better affliations.
Plus, I mean it only makes sense to attend a school with a good board pass rate doesn't it?
Strength of rotations is key.

Does anyone know where I can pick up the information regarding placement of residencies of choice? I realize that you can succeed from any place if you are good enough but it would be an interesting statistic to see.

It does not make sense to attend a school with good pass rates for the boards if you are going to be miserable at that school and not learn the material effectively. If you are not totally happy with your environment, the past success rate on the boards of the school will not get you that passing score! I also never said you couldn't use it as a factor in choosing, but that it must be considered in total with other factors!

Being a first year student at NSU I have to admit I am a bit biased, so take what I say with a grain of salt. I was in a very similar situation last year at this time and when I had to make a decision, I decided on NSU. I also really liked UHS, thought the faculty and students were excellent, and I don't think I would have been disappointed if I had attended UHS. But several factors including location, facilities, and tuition/finacial aid landed me here. I have seen the match lists for the past 5 years for NSU and you have nothing to worry about. If you would like a copy of them, you can contact the Medical Education Office and ask for it I think. That is what I did last year. Stop worrying about it and just be glad you have choices, some don't. All of the schools you mentioned will offer you an excellent medical education, just with a slightly different flavor.

JEEZ,
I am not saying go to an uncomfortable environment, LISTEN...choose a school you like but on quick glance many schools put on happy faces. Use objective data to determine where successful students have come from. Pikesville person, calm down.

[This message has been edited by ewagner (edited 11-30-2000).]

First of all...congrats!

I'm currently a first year student at NOVA. I'm lovin it. No regrets. Facilities are top notch. The IGC program is excellent (we are all getting clinical experience in the first semester of the first year). The dynamics of our class are great also. Lots of positive vibes. I could not imagine a better group of people to go to school with.

Best of all, the location and weather are unbeatable! I try to get to the beach or go sailing at least once a week (all year long!).

Choose the school that gave you the most positive vibe. Med school should be fun!