Deciding between VCU vs JMU

indonzusa

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am trying to decide between VCU and JMU. I want some in site, particularly those who went to med school from these universities. I know that lot of people give weight to money the schools give and the affinity to the region. However, if someone can give my info about the pre-med programs, how does it plays in during the med school admissions, etc, then, I will greatly appreciate.

Members don't see this ad.

It doesn't matter where you go. Seriously. Just get your prereqs done and do well. Both have pre med advisory committees so you'll be fine. Choose the cheaper option and save yourself some money.

VCU is attached to a Med school, so you will have easier exposure if you look for it. I'm sure JMU has opportunities too, esp because they have a big nursing program. Niether one is going to help you in terms of prestige.

Members don't see this ad :)
Moving to hSDN

VCU is probably the better bet. JMU doesn't have a great track record of putting people in med school seats (they're just under the national average according to their site). VCU is at least attached to a hospital so you have opportunities for exposure + inbreeding bias. However, if you're smart and motivated, you can get into med school from either of these schools.

Moving to hSDN

VCU is probably the better bet. JMU doesn't have a great track record of putting people in med school seats (they're just under the national average according to their site). VCU is at least attached to a hospital so you have opportunities for exposure + inbreeding bias. However, if you're smart and motivated, you can get into med school from either of these schools.

I don't think anyone is going to look at you and say, hey, this guy went to our undergraduate school. VCU is in a state with a lot of strong schools or near other places with strong schools. Likewise it is probably one of the most applied to schools in the nation for medical school.

That being said I would personally go to VCU. It's a bigger school, Richmond is a decent city and has a good amount of hospitals to volunteer with, and probably will have a larger variety of fields to study in case you decide medicine is not your cup of tea.