Deciding If This Career Is Possible For Myself

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Chasing The Dream 1991

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello Everyone,

First and foremost, I want to thank you for taking the time to read my post. It truly means the world to me. The reason I have decided to reach out to all of you in the medical community (students, residents, fellows, etc.) is to gain insight in regards to whether I can pursue a career in medicine given my current prospects.

I finished my undergraduate degree (BSc) in Canada and did not do as well as I would have liked. I was constantly stressed during my per-requisites and, to be honest, I rarely sought out help because I was and I always have been painfully introverted (no partying & antisocial behavior). I don't have a large network of friends and after socializing, I feel drained and exhausted.

My goals are not overly ambitious, I would like to attend a med school in the Caribbean, or a foreign medical school to eventually practice Family Medicine. However, given the daunted nature of medical education and importance of being perceived as capable, I am afraid that I have a dream in which I will only fail.

Any guidance is greatly appreciated.

Warm Wishes,

Chasing The Dream 1991

Members don't see this ad.

Caribbean will offer you instant admission, as long as you will pay.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
With all due respect Princeton Medical Student, It would be more beneficial to state why it's a poor decision. My GPA (don't want to delve into specifics) will not afford me the luxury of applying to a Canadian school.

Given that my specialty of choice (FM) is not competitive, why would it be a poor decision?

With all due respect Princeton Medical Student, It would be more beneficial to state why it's a poor decision. My GPA (don't want to delve into specifics) will not afford me the luxury of applying to a Canadian school.

Given that my specialty of choice (FM) is not competitive, why would it be a poor decision?
Do you want to practice in the U.S. or Canada?

Hi! It's hard to offer guidance without more information, but hopefully I can help address a few of your concerns and thoughts.

1) Being antisocial doesn't preclude you from medicine. Not every doctor or aspiring doctor enjoys socializing, but it is important to note that you will need some basic social skills in order to succeed at medical school interviews. But don't stress too much about your social preferences, everyone enjoys different levels of socialization!

2) GPA issues can be, in part, solved by a post-bac (DIY or formal) or an SMP. A quick search of SDN will reveal plenty of information on both options. Basically, they are both ways to raise your cGPA prior to application. Also, note that Canadian GPA/MCAT standards are often higher than American standards, so it would be helpful to know your actual GPA to determine whether GPA repair is necessary. If your GPA is sub-3.0, you will probably need to retake a number of courses and utilize grade replacement, and then apply DO.

3) The Caribbean should be a last resort. Essentially, the odds of you actually having the opportunity to practice medicine (even primary care) as a Caribbean graduate are pretty poor. Less than 50% of those who matriculate to Caribbean medical schools actually match into residency. DO is a much better option, but if your stats allow, you should try for MD as well.

Fortunately, considering you aspire to primary care, I believe your goal is within reach! It may take some time, and possibly some GPA repair, but there are a number of American medical schools which accept foreign students, and if you are serious about pursuing medicine, I believe you will be able to find a place at one of them. Good luck!

Reactions: 1 users
Do some searching in these fora. You're exactly the mark the Carib diploma mills prey upon.

What province are you from? There are plenty of schools that will look at your most recent degree, or most recent X years. If you're unable to get a competitive GPA for even a year, then do you really think you could handle med school in the Caribbean? Much more material than undergrad, much more stress than undergrad, and if you slip up they just kick you out. If you had a hard time seeking out help at a Canadian university where they bend over backwards to help their students, going to the Caribbean sounds like a recipe for failure (and poverty).

You should really tell us what your GPA is, you've only posted in this thread and have revealed no other personal information. It's pretty crucial to people giving you good advice. Assuming it's very low, what I would do in your shoes is try to address some of the problems you've had (not magically turning yourself into an extrovert, just being better equipped to seek out help when you need it) and start a second undergrad. If it goes really well you can apply in Canada, and if you don't quite get the GPA for that you can apply to Ireland/Australia. Much easier to get in than in Canada, and they don't flunk half of their class like the Caribbean. If you can't get the GPA to apply to those countries, then you have no strong reason to believe you could handle med school anywhere.

With the carribean you are basically flipping a coin twice. Once for getting through the school and the other for getting ANY residency.

Find a coin and flip it twice. It would need to be heads both times for you to become a physician in United States. If the coin flips tails either time, you are in a buttload debt and without a residency. Are you willing to take such a chance with your life?