Deciding on research this summer or not...red flag applicant for residency.

Nov 12, 2020
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
I'm an OMS-1, and I have opportunities this summer to do 1 or 2 research electives that might lead to publication, or spend some time relaxing and volunteering at the free clinic. I repeated 1st year after taking a personal leave of absence due to grades, so I'll have a red flag on my residency application. I'm hoping to match in FM, IM, or possibly Neuro...would all or any of these need research considering my application? I haven't failed any block since returning.

Reactions: 1 user

BorntobeDO?

7+ Year Member
Nov 13, 2013
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
  2. Resident [Any Field]
Do the research, you never know if you will change your mind later and want something where it will help. Having research as a DO is something that really distinguishes you from other DO grads.

Reactions: 2 users
About the Ads

Ho0v-man

5+ Year Member
Nov 28, 2014
Status (Visible)
  1. Resident [Any Field]
Personally think it’s a good idea. You wanna look like you walk on water after that red flag.

Be a redemption story.

Reactions: 1 users

AlbinoHawk DO

An Osteopath
7+ Year Member
Oct 19, 2013
Status (Visible)
  1. Non-Student
I'm an OMS-1, and I have opportunities this summer to do 1 or 2 research electives that might lead to publication, or spend some time relaxing and volunteering at the free clinic. I repeated 1st year after taking a personal leave of absence due to grades, so I'll have a red flag on my residency application. I'm hoping to match in FM, IM, or possibly Neuro...would all or any of these need research considering my application? I haven't failed any block since returning.
Both IM and Neuro will see it as a positive that you did something after failing your first year rather than being stagnant. I would do it if I were you

Reactions: 1 users
About the Ads

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.