• Set Yourself Up For Success Webinar

    October 6, 2021 at 2 PM Eastern/11 AM Pacific
    SDN and Osmosis are teaming up to help you get set up for success this school year! We'll be covering study tips, healthy habits, and meeting mentors.

    Register Now!

  • Funniest Story on the Job Contest Starts Now!

    Contest starts now and ends September 27th. Winner will receive a special user banner and $10 Amazon Gift card!

    JOIN NOW
  • Site Updates Coming Next Week

    Site updates are coming next week on Monday, Wednesday, and Friday. Click the button below to learn more!

    LEARN MORE

Decision about acceptances and waitlist

cecumbowels

Full Member
Feb 1, 2019
17
8
11
I am asking this for a friend because they do not have an account on here. I myself am a resident. They have one acceptance to a medical school and are on the waitlist at two other schools. One of the schools he is waitlisted at is his top priority. However, if they are removed from the waitlist after they start school at the accepted school, can they still switch schools? The school at which they are accepted to starts in July and is out of state. Are there any legal problems with this, like will the school even let him withdraw? Also I think they will not get a refund on tuition and security deposit. They are all osteopathic schools.

Not sure if I should post this on here or premed thread.
 
Last edited:

Oedipa Maas

Full Member
2+ Year Member
Jun 11, 2019
529
1,608
126
  1. Resident [Any Field]
I am asking this for a friend because they do not have an account on here. I myself am a resident. They have one acceptance to a medical school and are on the waitlist at two other schools. One of the schools he is waitlisted at is his top priority. However, if they are removed from the waitlist after they start school at the accepted school, can they still switch schools? The school at which they are accepted to starts in July and is out of state. Are there any legal problems with this, like will the school even let him withdraw? Also I think they will not get a refund on tuition and security deposit. They are all osteopathic schools.

Not sure if I should post this on here or premed thread.
Has your friend contacted the school he is on the waitlist at, told them he has an acceptance elsewhere but they are his top choice, and asked when he can expect to hear from them? Sometimes that can prompt a response from the school, sometimes not. But at the very least they might give him the latest possible date they accept off the waitlist.
 

Sriddymopboi

Full Member
May 2, 2020
59
75
31
  1. Medical Student
I am asking this for a friend because they do not have an account on here. I myself am a resident. They have one acceptance to a medical school and are on the waitlist at two other schools. One of the schools he is waitlisted at is his top priority. However, if they are removed from the waitlist after they start school at the accepted school, can they still switch schools? The school at which they are accepted to starts in July and is out of state. Are there any legal problems with this, like will the school even let him withdraw? Also I think they will not get a refund on tuition and security deposit. They are all osteopathic schools.

Not sure if I should post this on here or premed thread.
I think the AAMC has a policy that says once you start at a school you can't just leave and go to the other school, I vaguely remember this situation from when I had a similar situation when I was applying. Tell your friend to look it up on the AAMCs website to see if this policy exists.
 
About the Ads

Kumorebi

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
2+ Year Member
Jun 21, 2017
1,229
1,825
126
  1. Medical Student
I am asking this for a friend because they do not have an account on here. I myself am a resident. They have one acceptance to a medical school and are on the waitlist at two other schools. One of the schools he is waitlisted at is his top priority. However, if they are removed from the waitlist after they start school at the accepted school, can they still switch schools? The school at which they are accepted to starts in July and is out of state. Are there any legal problems with this, like will the school even let him withdraw? Also I think they will not get a refund on tuition and security deposit. They are all osteopathic schools.

Not sure if I should post this on here or premed thread.
Yes you can, but you will not get your deposit back. The school your friend leaves will have people ready to call in this situation. They will not hunt them down either. Also go to the AACOMAS website if you're looking for information, of course, and not AMCAS. @Goro
 
About the Ads
This thread is more than 1 year old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

  1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.