Decision about acceptances and waitlist

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cecumbowels

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am asking this for a friend because they do not have an account on here. I myself am a resident. They have one acceptance to a medical school and are on the waitlist at two other schools. One of the schools he is waitlisted at is his top priority. However, if they are removed from the waitlist after they start school at the accepted school, can they still switch schools? The school at which they are accepted to starts in July and is out of state. Are there any legal problems with this, like will the school even let him withdraw? Also I think they will not get a refund on tuition and security deposit. They are all osteopathic schools.

Not sure if I should post this on here or premed thread.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I am asking this for a friend because they do not have an account on here. I myself am a resident. They have one acceptance to a medical school and are on the waitlist at two other schools. One of the schools he is waitlisted at is his top priority. However, if they are removed from the waitlist after they start school at the accepted school, can they still switch schools? The school at which they are accepted to starts in July and is out of state. Are there any legal problems with this, like will the school even let him withdraw? Also I think they will not get a refund on tuition and security deposit. They are all osteopathic schools.

Has your friend contacted the school he is on the waitlist at, told them he has an acceptance elsewhere but they are his top choice, and asked when he can expect to hear from them? Sometimes that can prompt a response from the school, sometimes not. But at the very least they might give him the latest possible date they accept off the waitlist.

I think the AAMC has a policy that says once you start at a school you can't just leave and go to the other school, I vaguely remember this situation from when I had a similar situation when I was applying. Tell your friend to look it up on the AAMCs website to see if this policy exists.

Members don't see this ad :)

Yes you can, but you will not get your deposit back. The school your friend leaves will have people ready to call in this situation. They will not hunt them down either. Also go to the AACOMAS website if you're looking for information, of course, and not AMCAS. @Goro

Thank you for all this information. I will pass it along.