decision deadlines...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MrMunkily

Rogue One
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was admitted to a non-MSTP school - It's my first admission, and I don't expect to hear from any other schools for a month...

The problem I have is that the school wants a decision from me within the next two weeks, which is extremely frustrating.

1. Are they allowed to have require such a short turnaround?

2. How can I politely say "I need to see where I stand at other institutions" without being a jerk. I don't like being a jerk. It is a problem I have.

Members don't see this ad.

MrMunkily said:
I was admitted to a non-MSTP school - It's my first admission, and I don't expect to hear from any other schools for a month...

The problem I have is that the school wants a decision from me within the next two weeks, which is extremely frustrating.

1. Are they allowed to have require such a short turnaround?

2. How can I politely say "I need to see where I stand at other institutions" without being a jerk. I don't like being a jerk. It is a problem I have.

1) Yes. because of the answer to 2)

2) The system works the following way: when you "accept" a school's offer of admission, it is not binding. You are just guarenteeing your slot is reserved. You may withdrawal anytime before classes start. If you withdrawal before may 15, you get your deposit back too.

So accept the offer.... becuase based on what you hear from other institutions later you can always withdrawal. You can hold multiple acceptances before may 15th, and at that date you have to pick one and you can stay on waitlists. This is how the system works.

If I hadn't found SDN, I never would have known stuff like this because the schools certainly don't make it clear when they send an acceptance. Thank God for SDN. :D

Congrats mrmunkily!

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks muchly for clearing that up. That's an excellent distinction.

woah, wait! so if you're accepted somewhere (say a medical school and/or mstp) your spot isn't secure unless you turn in your deposit??? that's crazy! :scared: wish they would tell us this stuff in the letters... :mad:

neoserenity333 said:
woah, wait! so if you're accepted somewhere (say a medical school and/or mstp) your spot isn't secure unless you turn in your deposit??? that's crazy! :scared: wish they would tell us this stuff in the letters... :mad:
Some schools just make you sign and return a postcard... but don't require the deposit until May.

neoserenity333 said:

Generally this is the case..however, there were a couple of schools that I wasn't interested in, so I didn't turn in the deposit (thinking this would save me the trouble of sending a letter to withdraw..jeez I was lazy). But lo and behold, I was still on the accepted lists for those schools months later, and the school I'm at now gave me a warning to let go of all other acceptances.

And I think md/phd programs would be even less strict about the deposit stuff, and you'd be in better contact with them.