Decision Time! Please Help

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kdent33

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am currently torn between University of Maryland and UMDNJ. I am a New Jersey resident, and would obviously be guaranteed in- state tuition, if I attended UMDNJ. In terms of finances Maryland would be around 20k more a year, if I was unable to establish residency. After talking to a few students at Maryland, I was under the impression that it is possible to declare residency, but it is not necessarily a guarantee. I feel that Maryland offers a more established program which might lead to more opportunities in the future. I have received notifications from both schools, indicating that I have 15 days to make my decision. I feel that both schools offer a strong clinical and didactic experience. I am so very torn, any input would be greatly appreciated J

Members don't see this ad.

Well, obviously Jersey is significantly cheaper, I have heard it is relatively difficult to get residency in Maryland from a few students that go there. So you should always assume the worst case scenario. So Jersey would be 80K less. If you value Maryland 80K more, then you should go there, if not, then you should go to UMDNJ.