You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
Decision to convert to all 4 year programs deferred
Started by WhatJobDoIPick
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
I thought my opinion that we need to move to a 4 year model would be an unpopular one. I am glad to see I am not alone in my opinionWelp I guess we're gonna continue burning down this field.
Oh god the fights I had on facebook and reddit over this where everyone thinks that suddenly no one will go into ED and simultaneously we are all stealing wealth directly from the pockets of residents that could have been attendings already,.... rather than finding a nominally 'neutral' way to weed out 50+ programs that have just zero way of hitting the patients/year criteria and the 4 year criteria at the same time (and providing better training by 33% from sites that remain that do happen to be substandard still). Both steps that will lead to a healthier market for us all.People in the Facebook group are celebrating this as a victory
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I thought my opinion that we need to move to a 4 year model would be an unpopular one. I am glad to see I am not alone in my opinion
Oh god the fights I had on facebook and reddit over this where everyone thinks that suddenly no one will go into ED and simultaneously we are all stealing wealth directly from the pockets of residents that could have been attendings already,.... rather than finding a nominally 'neutral' way to weed out 50+ programs that have just zero way of hitting the patients/year criteria and the 4 year criteria at the same time (and providing better training by 33% from sites that remain that do happen to be substandard still). Both steps that will lead to a healthier market for us all.
EM physicians are likely the most self destructive specialty I've ever seen. Between letting their groups be taken over by CMGs, totally blowing the opportunity we had during COVID and now residency expansion, we are hell bent on destroying our field.
What opportunity did we blow during COVID? Hearing that seems vaguely familiar, but I can't place it exactly.
Oh that we could have walked out, brought the system to its knees, gotten whatever we wanted. Instead we went to work without PPE and took pay cuts.What opportunity did we blow during COVID? Hearing that seems vaguely familiar, but I can't place it exactly.
I'm forced to agree.EM physicians are likely the most self destructive specialty I've ever seen. Between letting their groups be taken over by CMGs, totally blowing the opportunity we had during COVID and now residency expansion, we are hell bent on destroying our field.
For people who learned hard sciences for the better part of a decade of their training, the inability to look past their own feelings and see the forest for the trees is astounding. It's almost as if people are completely unaware that their livelihoods are at risk.
5 years ago we were scrambling for jobs and seeing contracts rescinded. People are acting like that could never happen again when market forces, political inertia and demographic forces are all against us. Stupid.
I thought my opinion that we need to move to a 4 year model would be an unpopular one. I am glad to see I am not alone in my opinion
Oh god the fights I had on facebook and reddit over this where everyone thinks that suddenly no one will go into ED and simultaneously we are all stealing wealth directly from the pockets of residents that could have been attendings already,.... rather than finding a nominally 'neutral' way to weed out 50+ programs that have just zero way of hitting the patients/year criteria and the 4 year criteria at the same time (and providing better training by 33% from sites that remain that do happen to be substandard still). Both steps that will lead to a healthier market for us all.
Yep! While I am not necessarily a philosophical fan of a mandatory 4 year model, the rapid spread of absolute D-tier 3 year residencies all over the country needs to be controlled, and this offered a reasonable way. I'd rather super harsh criteria that allowed (select, excellent) 3 year programs to exist, but tomato-tomatoe. I also liked the idea (I think I saw it here?) that 4 year programs would offer something extra to the graduate... perhaps not a full fellowship, but a leg up on an exit strategy like palliative, pain, MBA, etc...
I have always been a proponent of 3 yrs and ranked all 3 yr above the 2 four yrs I applied to. With the way medicine/life is changing, I can see a 4th year ONLY if they use that productively. Let the 4th be a pseudo attending where you are in EM 10/12 months, less than 120hrs/month, allow moonlighting, have good electives, Make them all do 1 month of Financial education.
If they make it mandatory productive, then this is a great idea that would make EM a more attractive field. But I have little faith in the stakeholders to make the right decision. If they 4th is a glorified 3rd year pawn, which is what I bet will happen, then they are screwing EM more.
BTW, This is the only SM I do. Enough argumentative/touchy people here, I can't imagine going on reddit.
If they make it mandatory productive, then this is a great idea that would make EM a more attractive field. But I have little faith in the stakeholders to make the right decision. If they 4th is a glorified 3rd year pawn, which is what I bet will happen, then they are screwing EM more.
BTW, This is the only SM I do. Enough argumentative/touchy people here, I can't imagine going on reddit.
Any new programs should be 5 years. If you have less than 90% of your residents pass the written exam on a 3 year rolling period then 3 year programs have to switch to 4 years and 4 year programs to 5 years. If you have less than 80% pass the written exam during a 5 year rolling period then your program gets shut down.
To think EM field could have been like anesthesia
Last edited:
To think EN field could have been like anesthesia
Would require people in EM to have actual interests, not "social medicine"
Jesus, the absurd takes I see from fellow attendings on Reddit hurts my brain. I just saw a post today where an EM attending was claiming that decreased compensation in EM was a lie.I thought my opinion that we need to move to a 4 year model would be an unpopular one. I am glad to see I am not alone in my opinion
Oh god the fights I had on facebook and reddit over this where everyone thinks that suddenly no one will go into ED and simultaneously we are all stealing wealth directly from the pockets of residents that could have been attendings already,.... rather than finding a nominally 'neutral' way to weed out 50+ programs that have just zero way of hitting the patients/year criteria and the 4 year criteria at the same time (and providing better training by 33% from sites that remain that do happen to be substandard still). Both steps that will lead to a healthier market for us all.
Jesus, the absurd takes I see from fellow attendings on Reddit hurts my brain. I just saw a post today where an EM attending was claiming that decreased compensation in EM was a lie.
Another one implied $200/hr is enough.
I don't think most EM docs realize just how many new CMG programs have opened in the past 10 years.
ACGME literally just recently approved 5 more programs for this application cycle to start this June.
apps.acgme.org
ACGME literally just recently approved 5 more programs for this application cycle to start this June.
ACGME - Accreditation Data System (ADS)
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Lol, I’m pretty sure that’s the same idiot.Another one implied $200/hr is enough.
I don't think most EM docs realize just how many new CMG programs have opened in the past 10 years.
ACGME literally just recently approved 5 more programs for this application cycle to start this June.
ACGME - Accreditation Data System (ADS)
apps.acgme.org
I'd say it won't be my problem as I'll be out soon, but I'll have to save more for retirement to buy concierge level care to avoid having these *****s care for me when I'm old.
If you guys really wanna cringe, head over to reddit to see those absolute ****-chucking ******s spout off about it.
Edit: Zebra beat me to it. I didn't bother to scroll up .
Edit: Zebra beat me to it. I didn't bother to scroll up .
I think compensation direction is based on time. It is surely higher today than 10 years ago. I think the future is down.. and by down i mean 25% or more down. I also would not be shocked if our hours to work go down cause all these residencies are gonna have young docs who NEED (not necessarily want) to work. These youngins’ dont want to work the same hours. .thats true.. but the future is not bright.Jesus, the absurd takes I see from fellow attendings on Reddit hurts my brain. I just saw a post today where an EM attending was claiming that decreased compensation in EM was a lie.