Decision to take gap year before AMCAS opening

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

weanprednisone

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Yesterday, I was talking to some mentors and I've decided to take a gap year due to the possibility of burn out and time to enjoy life. And I think I definitely can work on myself more.

I'm kind of bummed out because I got my personal statement, 15 ECs, LORs and everything straightened out. But I realized that going straight from undergrad to med school is going to kill me with no break.

I kind of feel like a wussy doing it. I didn't decide this because I don't think I'm not a qualified applicant, but rather I've never had 1 month of not needing to worry about school/work/family/mcat...

I have a plan written out for myself, but I want to hear some of your opinions on what to do in a gap year and things to look out for.
Any help is appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

Yesterday, I was talking to some mentors and I've decided to take a gap year due to the possibility of burn out and time to enjoy life. And I think I definitely can work on myself more.

I'm kind of bummed out because I got my personal statement, 15 ECs, LORs and everything straightened out. But I realized that going straight from undergrad to med school is going to kill me with no break.

I kind of feel like a wussy doing it. I didn't decide this because I don't think I'm not a qualified applicant, but rather I've never had 1 month of not needing to worry about school/work/family/mcat...

I have a plan written out for myself, but I want to hear some of your opinions on what to do in a gap year and things to look out for.
Any help is appreciated.

Take the gap year! Find something productive to do that you are interested in. Have fun, strengthen relationships with friends/family, and travel some! Pick up a new hobby or two that'll help carry you through med school.

All sorts of options. Assuming everything else is in line, gap years = the best. As long as you use your time well and make the most of it.

Reactions: 1 user
There's absolutely nothing wrong with taking a gap year. Continue to do something mildly productive and enjoy your time off. You'll regain focus and be ready to tackle it all over again.

Members don't see this ad :)

Any help is appreciated.
another idea, why don't you graduate early by 1 semester and just have the last semester be there to relax? Get done with classes in the summer partially. You don't need a whole year to pour that water on the burn.

Gap years are awesome and I know a lot of students who got burned out after going straight. As you mentioned, it will give you an opportunity to take a break from everything and also work on yourself. I would try to continue some type of volunteer work and get a job doing something you're interested in. Traveling is another great option if you have the funds to do so. Some schools will ask you what you did in your gap years. As long as you have something interesting to say about what you did during your gap year and weren't just sitting around doing nothing, you'll be fine.

Your application is essentially ready to go so enjoy your gap year recharging, and be ready to submit during the following year.

Thank you all! Yesterday I feel like I've made the biggest mistake and would disappoint a lot of people around me. But I know this is about me and not others. Thanks for the encourage talks :) Congrats for those that got it/ applying this cycle. I'll be back!

Definitely do it. You will never regret taking time to enjoy life.