Decision...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Unknown11

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Florida resident. Got into UF, Nova, UCLA, Columbia, GRU, and Pittsburgh. Leaning towards UF because of tuition obviously. But obviously selfish pride makes me want to go out of state. Anyone have any insight that I may have missed in my research? Greatly appreciated everyone and congrats to people that had their dreams come true and good luck/keep your head up to those still waiting. It's been a long process and has a couple more months of opportunities.

Members don't see this ad.

If you decide to go out of state, where are you thinking?

I truly don't know... Pitt and GRU have a fairly low cost of living (regarding housing), and UCLA I have pretty much eliminated due to distance and being from the east coast myself. And Columbia is extremely tempting prestige wise (which is obviously a selfish reason) but the cost of living combined with tuition cannot be understated... Pitt was absolutely beautiful. GRU is GORGEOUS as well. It completely took me by surprised (everything is brand new) and the people there are like home to me. Idk there's so much to consider.

Members don't see this ad :)
thats a tough choice, id love to be in your shoes haha (also fl resident)

Go to GRU!!! It's a great school. Standard of living is really low in Augusta and Masters week is awesome

Last edited:
I truly don't know... Pitt and GRU have a fairly low cost of living (regarding housing), and UCLA I have pretty much eliminated due to distance and being from the east coast myself. And Columbia is extremely tempting prestige wise (which is obviously a selfish reason) but the cost of living combined with tuition cannot be understated... Pitt was absolutely beautiful. GRU is GORGEOUS as well. It completely took me by surprised (everything is brand new) and the people there are like home to me. Idk there's so much to consider.
I chose Pitt over MWU-AZ, even though MWU-AZ was flashier, but way more expensive than Pitt. Pitt is better for my wife and kids and its reputation cannot be ignored. I think it gives me the best opportunity and the school is beautiful. I loved MWU-AZ, but in the end, I'm choosing Pitt.

Check out total cost of attendance for each school in the ADEA Guide to Dental Schools. This will include an estimate cost of living for the area. Go from there. Congrats!

Check out total cost of attendance for each school in the ADEA Guide to Dental Schools. This will include an estimate cost of living for the area. Go from there. Congrats!

EasTexan, are you a dentist already?

EasTexan, are you a dentist already?
No, I'm married to a pre-dent. I work in a medical setting, but I don't have a professional degree. I started off perusing SDN to help her out, then made an account, then started posting after being wrapped up in all the pre-dent stuff with her. I feel like I've been around all this long enough to give a little advice. SDN has been a HUGE help to us.

Id only do Columbia if you're really gunning to specialize