decisions decisions...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

xodd

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
lots to read, I apologize in advance.

Greetings from Canada everyone :) as you can see I am new here. I believe I have finally found my home to ask all the psychology questions I can possibly think of! A little bit about me: I am currently a senior in high school (grade 12). Math is definitely not my strongest point (grade 9 was a 72%, grade 10 was a 65%, grade 11 was a 62% and in grade 12 i am currently sitting on a 68%. that being said all of my other courses that i have taken in grade 12 are in the mid 80's to high 90's. A couple years ago I was told that I should become a psychologist. I was interested in finding out more about psychology, and so i did. ever since then I have decided to major in psychology when i go to university.

just recently I was accepted into a BA program at st. Mary's university. the sub-field that I want to carry on to do is clinical psychology. (I figured I have many options with clinical psyc. whether it be researching, working with patients with mental illnesses in a hospital, or just opening a private practice and counselling people.) but now I'm on the fence. I'm looking into I/O psychology thinking it would be pretty cool to study as well.. assessing the work place, counselling employers about their personal and work lives, creating a productive workplace ect.

So here is what i am asking of you: What are the differences between clinical and industrial organized psychology? I know i could go and read some article on it, but i would rather have someone else's opinion on the topic, especially if they are in university/ a graduate.

on top of all this. can any of you think of a way that i can start studying psychology now? (I have borrowed an intro-psyc text book) I'm pretty eager to learn, and get in what i can before i start university.. a lot of people are telling me though that its not worth it and to just wait until then. (if i had the chance, i would drop out of high school to study psyc full time at a university)

please someone enlighten me, and feel free to change anything that I may have misunderstood. I'm getting a teeny bit stressed at this point. hahaha. thanks, and sorry for the long read, more questions may follow if i can think of any. -xodd

Members don't see this ad.

Clinical psychology deal with the assessment and treatment of abberant behavior and human suffering

Industrial/organziational applies principles of psychological science in order to promote and improve the efficencey of companies and their workforces.

Clinical psychology deal with the assessment and treatment of abberant behavior and human suffering

Industrial/organziational applies principles of psychological science in order to promote and improve the efficencey of companies and their workforces.

the sub-field that I want to carry on to do is clinical psychology. (I figured I have many options with clinical psyc. whether it be researching, working with patients with mental illnesses in a hospital, or just opening a private practice and counselling people.)

Thanks!

Am I correct on this statement? I also heard that in Canada at least, that its harder to get accepted into a clinical psyc phd program then it is to get into med school.

Members don't see this ad :)
Correct on both.

how hard is it to get accepted into a industrial organized phd program? any clue? when I was talking to a student at st marys he said he had a prof that could convince you to change your mind and major in I/O psyc instead of whatever else. I also just remembered that I have a cousin who is a I/O psychologist (phd). lol