Decisions, decisions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

carol_J

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
hello, ummm.... although I had been persuing opt for the past 3 yrs., after reading some of the threads here, and doing some shadowing, the future of optometry seems not to bright.

I did start loking into other health-related professions, but I always keep coming back to optometry!!!!

I just can NOT decide!!!!!!!! Anyone have any advice? I will try to shadow different optometrist in other settings ( ive shadowed in private anf group practice), but this just seem so frusterating...... especially if I need to take my OAT before may to apply for entering class of 09 '

advice anyone?

Members don't see this ad.

what exactly is your furstration? can you be more specific??

you can take your this summer to apply for the Fall '09

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi Carol,

Some of the threads on the forums here are written by optometrists who are dissatisfied with their job or maybe people who are going through a tough time trying to pay off debts and whatnot. There will always be people who hate their jobs and people who love their jobs. Take what you read here with a grain of salt.

The best way to find out if optometry's right for you is to shadow various optometrists in various settings and see if you think the job is the right fit for you. What did you not like about your shadowing experiences?

well my frusteration is whether or not continue to pursue optometry, there are some aspects I do like about it, but some other that I don't....

what I did't like about the shadowing I did was that the work seemed really repetative. I only shadowed this opt for a day in private practice. Although I didnt get to talk to him so much because he had appt after appt of refraction and contact fitting, but he too was discouraging and said he had to go through so much to set up his practice.

when I asked him if he'd do it all over again, he was hesitant & did really give me a straight answer....

I also shadowed a group practice, which i did like. The opt I shadowed there was a recent grad and was really enthusiasitc & encouraging. what I did'nt like about this was that he had about 2 or 3 other jobs? (i know there are other opt who do the same)

I just need sometime to really think about continueing to pursue opt, before spending 4 yrs, being over $100k in debt, & havinf an uncertain future.....

sorry about the rant, this is really I guess a personal decision

thanks, for the input! :)

well my frusteration is whether or not continue to pursue optometry, there are some aspects I do like about it, but some other that I don't....

what I did't like about the shadowing I did was that the work seemed really repetative. I only shadowed this opt for a day in private practice. Although I didnt get to talk to him so much because he had appt after appt of refraction and contact fitting, but he too was discouraging and said he had to go through so much to set up his practice.

when I asked him if he'd do it all over again, he was hesitant & did really give me a straight answer....

I also shadowed a group practice, which i did like. The opt I shadowed there was a recent grad and was really enthusiasitc & encouraging. what I did'nt like about this was that he had about 2 or 3 other jobs? (i know there are other opt who do the same)

I just need sometime to really think about continueing to pursue opt, before spending 4 yrs, being over $100k in debt, & havinf an uncertain future.....

sorry about the rant, this is really I guess a personal decision

thanks, for the input! :)

If the negatives outweigh the positives then perhaps another career may be better and unfortunately what you like/dislike can only be decided by you. Sure other OD's may talk about optometry in general, but its all relative. I'm just saying, take into consideration what other posters say about optometry, but certainly don't base you're decision on that. I do have to say, the practice of optometry seems kind of repetitive but personally, I don't hate that.

Good luck, Carol (if thats your real name :D )