Decisions, Decisions

Started by dmbgg
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

dmbgg

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I graduated high school in 2007, and started community college to pursue a Computer Science degree. I am almost done with the small degree from my community college, but between working at CVS Pharmacy, and a cousin in her third year at Pharmacy School, I am beginning to follow her advice and thinking of turning my major into Pharmacy, and trying to apply to Pharmacy school.

I know that I have to take the PCAT if I am going to be serious about this.

I am a little behind, so it would be another 1-1.5 years of undergrad work before I can apply, because a considerable amount of the CIS coursework will not transfer for Pre-Pharmacy credits.

So with this said, should I begin studying for the PCAT before I have taken all of the physics and math courses, etc.?

I took physics and cal in high school, but can hardly recall any of it. So I know that I am not going to remember everything, but should I begin studying to be "ahead of my game" so to speak?

So if I should, what do you recommend studying?

This is a pretty serious decision in my life, so I am trying to weigh options and such. Just any thoughts, please post. Thanks.
 
You still need to take the prereqs so the only one I would start studying would be calc since it's been awhile. But there is no need to go over board. :idea: Take the PCAT once you've got Chem and Orgo under your belt. If you focus and do well in the classes, the PCAT will be easier for you.
 
Thanks for the encouragement Firey.

It is appreciated. I guess after I get all the prereqs down I can buy one of the study books, and take some practice exams. Again, I appreciated your encouragement.
 
Well there is no Physics on the PCAT, so you don't have to worry about that.
I would focus on biology, organic, gen chem and calc, do as well as you can in those classes and retain the material.
Anyways, best of luck to you. It's definitely a good thing you're thinking well in advance of applying!