Declaring Vet Interests

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Mereafterthough

Cornell DVM c/o 2014!
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I was wondering if it's a smart idea to declare my specific vet interest in my personal statement. At the moment I'm mainly interested in small animal medicine, specifically emergency/critical care. I've also done a lot of research and am interested in that as well. I have little to no LA experience (5 hrs with cows). Thus, would it be in my best interest to make my small animal interest known? Thanks!
 
The prompt includes a part where they want you to demonstrate your understanding of what vets do. I think that would be a good way to work in your interests while showing an open mind. I think I said something like "I understand that vets work in a variety of fields, including (...). Right now I can see myself doing (...) as a vet but I am looking forward to the opportunity to learn about additional fields in vet school." Something like that.