declining an interview

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

midwest girl

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know if it is okay to decline an interview (not cancel)? What are you supposed to say when you call?

Thanks in advance...

Members don't see this ad.

I'd like to know what's appropriate, as well. To cancel, I just called and left a tactful message saying thanks for the opportunity. To decline, I simply haven't replied yet...I haven't decided yet what to do or say.

What's the difference ?????!! :confused: Do you mean having a program contact you and then say "No I wont interview with you" rather than scheduling an interview and then canceling it.. If you are not interested in a program or have changed your mind...It would be to your best interest and the programs best interest to do either... if you have already scheduled your interview then cancel it..so other applicants can fill your spot.. if the program contacts you at the time you change your mind then decline it....if you change your mind before any contact it might not be a bad idea to let the program know so they can fill the spot they were to give to you with someone else.... Canceling/declining/calling to cancel will all be looked at the same by the program. I think for the most part programs will appreciate your honesty and not wasting their time and/or interview spot.