SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

declining an interview

Discussion in 'Clinical Rotations' started by midwest girl, Nov 10, 2001.

1. midwest girl

midwest girl Junior Member 7+ Year Member

Nov 5, 2001
    Does anyone know if it is okay to decline an interview (not cancel)? What are you supposed to say when you call?

Thanks in advance...

2. SDN Members don't see this ad. About the ads.
  3. LegallyBlind

LegallyBlind Junior Member

Oct 11, 2001
    I'd like to know what's appropriate, as well. To cancel, I just called and left a tactful message saying thanks for the opportunity. To decline, I simply haven't replied yet...I haven't decided yet what to do or say.

4. RBorhani

RBorhani Emergency Physician 10+ Year Member

Apr 6, 1999
    Oakland, CA
    What's the difference ?????!! :confused: Do you mean having a program contact you and then say "No I wont interview with you" rather than scheduling an interview and then canceling it.. If you are not interested in a program or have changed your mind...It would be to your best interest and the programs best interest to do either... if you have already scheduled your interview then cancel it..so other applicants can fill your spot.. if the program contacts you at the time you change your mind then decline it....if you change your mind before any contact it might not be a bad idea to let the program know so they can fill the spot they were to give to you with someone else.... Canceling/declining/calling to cancel will all be looked at the same by the program. I think for the most part programs will appreciate your honesty and not wasting their time and/or interview spot.