Declining fellowship offer

Started by Not NPO
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Not NPO

Full Member
7+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I was offered an out of match fellowship position and accepted it 2 days ago. Now, due to family issues It would not be ideal for me to relocate to that area. Is there a way I can withdraw my acceptance (I haven’t sign the intent letter or anything whatsoever, just email agreement) or would it be profesional suicide?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I was in the same position. I had to back out for health reasons.

It was pretty unfortunate.

Hopefully I can get back to fellowship at some point.
 
I was offered an out of match fellowship position and accepted it 2 days ago. Now, due to family issues It would not be ideal for me to relocate to that area. Is there a way I can withdraw my acceptance (I haven’t sign the intent letter or anything whatsoever, just email agreement) or would it be profesional suicide?
It’s been 2 days not 2 months. They won’t care, they’re probably busy with other things right now anyway. Just tell them now.