Declining offer

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

2ndchanceopto

Full Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I got an acceptance two months ago and put down a deposit because I wasn't sure I'd get into my top choice and didn't want to end up nowhere. However, I just got accepted into my top choice and will definitely be attending. I was just wondering how to decline the first school's offer now and what to say. (Unfortunately the deposit is non-refundable). Any advice would be appreciated!
 
To whom it may concern,

After careful consideration, I have chosen to decline my offer of acceptance to [school]'s class of [year]. Thank you for your time.
 
I was in the same situation and it was really tough for me. Here is the email I sent.

Hello Ms. XYZ,

I am writing to thank you for the acceptance and scholarship offer from [school], but after long and careful deliberation I have decided to attend [other school]. Ultimately, proximity to my family was the factor that influenced my decision. I understand that the tuition deposit is non-refundable, and I am glad it will go toward [school name]’s wonderful school. Thank you again!

Best,
[my name]