I've considered strategies to somehow screen patients before they can establish a doctor-patient relationship such as only take referrals from other therapists who know not to refer to you for certain things.
And I have received referrals from idiot therapists that were completely inappropriate.
This strategy only works if you have a nice source of people who can refer to you that you trust and they understand what type of patient they should refer.
But you do that your practice will grow at rate of what I'd estimate to be less than 10% of what it otherwise would've been. While psychiatrists tend to fill up much faster vs other fields of medicine, it's not worth the slow rate of growth especially when the amount of people you get that are too severe for your office will be very small. I've had about 50 completely inappropriate patients my first year out of what was around 1000. Is it worth it to slow our practice growth for that small an amount? And out of that about 40 of them were easy inappropirate patients. E.g. the patient came in, already had a GAF in the 60s+ and really just needed a psychotherapist and I referred them to one. Easy. No problem. They thought psychiatry these days was couch therapy cause they watched too much Frasier.
Of what was around the 10 inappropriate patients that weren't easy, wow, I could tell you some stories. Severe intellectual disability patient who got violent in my office (she had a long history of violence, parents lied to me about her history and said she was never violent), person on Clozapine who never reliably got his labs done and then his mother would scream at us for her son's lack of responsibility, woman with borderline PD from a wealthy family tells me her family is being sexist for not letting her take over their extremely successful business all the while having severe borderline sx and not connecting that this is the exact reason, and when I tell her she has emotional dysregulation she responds, "you're my doctor you're supposed to support me no matter what and get my family to give me their business!," alcoholic comes to my office and doesn't want to go sober, he's there cause his wife is making him show up, and he won't do any of the treatment recommendations, and then when he drinks his wife calls us up and screams at us, kid who being enabled by his grandmother (and the kid and the mother lived in the grandmother's home) and allowed to do anything he wanted including playing video games all day long, using mother's credit card, his mother tried to get me to intervene, and after figuring it out after several visits I told her he's not going to get better cause this is all a behavioral reinforcement problem the grandmother is creating and neither he-the patient or she-the grandmother wanted to fix the problem, so I told her and her son to move out, but the mother refuses to move out.....voila checkmate, this situation will not improve and I do not have the means to improve it, I could go on.
As I said before, have the patient themself, not their family or friends arrange the appt, don't directly take from a hospital unless the hospital tells you about the patient's case and you can have a discussion with them, don't let brand new patients come in the same day (or very quickly like the next day) as they arrange an appt unless you're willing to take the risk, but that risk will be low. Those are the only strategies I've figured out so far that won't significantly curb your intake flow.