USMLE Dedicated Study Plan Advice NEEDED

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rcdamania

medskooljunkie
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I just am rounding into 77 days till the big day and wanted to make a dedicated study plan, as I am going to have May 19th onward to dedicated preparation (test is June 19th). I am currently doing doctors in training which I am liking because it is getting me through First Aid, and will finish that in the next two weeks. I have a little over 30% of UWorld left as well which I wanna finish before dedicated study, and I also have purchased Rx which I have a 1000 questions or so left to do.

I wanted to get advice on some things I should do in planning my schedule for dedicated study:
I wanted to plan and do all questions during that time however I feel now I should also study some of the material. I am not a big fan of sitting and reading so I was thinking of doing First Aid Rx course videos, Pathoma, and Goljan audio courses during my dedicated study. Further wanted to just reset UWorld and run through it one more time in random/timed blocks (at least 3-4/ day). Wanted to hear thoughts on this plan, how to organize it and also when to squeeze in those NBMEs (in what order as well). I was thinking to do one every week.

Really appreciate the guidance from all ya'll! Thanks for your help

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Only you know your learning style, but my biggest thought is that you seem to be using a lot of "passive" study materials. It's great how far you are into QBanks and FA, but I'd sub some of those videos/lectures for a couple books (BRS Physio, Goljan RR, etc.). It's just so easy to accidentally shut your mind off (at least your deep and analytical mind) when you're just watching videos or listening to lectures.

My broad suggestions:
-Do Pathoma + Goljan, a Physio resource (my understanding is gold standard = BRS Physio), and a Pharm resource (Kaplan Pharm videos or flashcards) concurrently with a 2nd read of FA and your 2nd run of UWorld. It would be nice if you could get this done with 2 weeks left before your test.
-Leave the last 2 weeks as buffer time in case you fall behind on your schedule or wanted to get to lower-yield resources (radiology websites, Goljan slideshow images, etc.). Also use this time to brush up on weaknesses discovered through analysis of your performance on QBanks, NBME's, etc.
-Do one NBME soon or now, then 1x/wk starting at the beginning of your dedicated prep time. 7 days before the test, do at least one session of two NBME's back-to-back.

You can look around for how people arrange the NBME's. I think I've seen that in a couple threads. Good luck.

Only you know your learning style, but my biggest thought is that you seem to be using a lot of "passive" study materials. It's great how far you are into QBanks and FA, but I'd sub some of those videos/lectures for a couple books (BRS Physio, Goljan RR, etc.). It's just so easy to accidentally shut your mind off (at least your deep and analytical mind) when you're just watching videos or listening to lectures.

My broad suggestions:
-Do Pathoma + Goljan, a Physio resource (my understanding is gold standard = BRS Physio), and a Pharm resource (Kaplan Pharm videos or flashcards) concurrently with a 2nd read of FA and your 2nd run of UWorld. It would be nice if you could get this done with 2 weeks left before your test.
-Leave the last 2 weeks as buffer time in case you fall behind on your schedule or wanted to get to lower-yield resources (radiology websites, Goljan slideshow images, etc.). Also use this time to brush up on weaknesses discovered through analysis of your performance on QBanks, NBME's, etc.
-Do one NBME soon or now, then 1x/wk starting at the beginning of your dedicated prep time. 7 days before the test, do at least one session of two NBME's back-to-back.

You can look around for how people arrange the NBME's. I think I've seen that in a couple threads. Good luck.
Thank you so much for your help and support

Will really take it into consideration in the coming weeks.

Best