Deep Brain Stimulation

Started by MechE
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

MechE

Med School's Slave
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Does anyone know the price for a deep brain simulator? I'm giving a presentation on it for a graduate class and I couldn't find the price for the device anywhere on the internet.
 
I remembered the device costing about $20,000 from when I did my post-bacc research (03-04), but didn't know for sure, so I found an article you can use. The article says 12,000 pounds sterling, which is about the same.

See:
Emma McIntosh, MSc 1 *, Alastair Gray, PhD 1, Tipu Aziz, MD 2. (2003) Estimating the costs of surgical innovations: The case for subthalamic nucleus stimulation in the treatment of advanced Parkinson's disease. Movement Disorders. 18(9): 993 - 999.