Deep brain stimulator

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Intrathecal

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Have a patient coming in for EGD/Colonoscopy. He has a deep brain stimulator for Parkinson's Dz/Depression. Possible use of cautery for polypectomy. Asked by GI guy whether stimulator needs to be turned off. I am thinking that we don't need to. What's the right answer?

Members don't see this ad.

Have a patient coming in for EGD/Colonoscopy. He has a deep brain stimulator for Parkinson's Dz/Depression. Possible use of cautery for polypectomy. Asked by GI guy whether stimulator needs to be turned off. I am thinking that we don't need to. What's the right answer?

Ask yourself this question: Why are we concerned about cautery in a patient with a pacemaker or AICD?
The answer should be: We don't want the device to misfire or stop working because this can cause some serious badness.
Now what if a brain stimulator misfires or stops working???
The answer: No big deal the worst case would be that the patient would get his symptoms back until you reprogram the device.
I wouldn't worry about it.

Ask yourself this question: Why are we concerned about cautery in a patient with a pacemaker or AICD?
The answer should be: We don't want the device to misfire or stop working because this can cause some serious badness.
Now what if a brain stimulator misfires or stops working???
The answer: No big deal the worst case would be that the patient would get his symptoms back until you reprogram the device.
I wouldn't worry about it.
I dunno. You'd hate for the patient to wake up fluent in Klingon and on a 63-hour circadian rhythm. You might have to reprogram more than just the DBS. :p

Members don't see this ad :)
its highly unlikely. Im pretty sure the cautery they use is bipolar. Even if its not unless youre slapping the grounding pad on his head, the current has got a loooong way to go to reach the stim.

Agreed. Bipolar has been used extensively with SCS (same technology) without much issue. There are a few cases of cautery arcing and cooking the cord, but I believe these were not bipolar cautery units.

its highly unlikely. Im pretty sure the cautery they use is bipolar. Even if its not unless youre slapping the grounding pad on his head, the current has got a loooong way to go to reach the stim.

in order to answer this, wouldn't we have to know where the polyp is and where the generator was placed? ex: esophagus and chest wall