Deep into pharmacy school... And I want out

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

axelz165

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Ive been in pharmacy school for 3 years. Orinallgu wanted med school but I lost hope of entering and settled on Pharm. In my 3 years of experience, I realized this was the worst mistake of my life. This profession is absolutely nothing like medicine and I cannot continue the rest of my life doing it. I'm in deep and pretty much have to graduate and aggressively pay off my loans.

My question is where can I go from there. I didn't have the best GPA in undergrad and it lowered even more when I realized I wanted to settle for pharmacy school (ended with a 3.0). I never was passionate about pharmacy school so I will most likely have a high 2.x when I graduate. Is there any hope or chance of me getting into a medical school at that point? What steps would I need to take (retaking classes, volunteering)? And would my experience in pharmacy school (and as a working pharmacist) count negatively against me? Positively? Also, I'd probably be around 30 by the time I begin applications. How would this factor into the equation as well.

As a final aside: to all pre-med students considering switching to pharmacy school, PLEASE reconsider this is what you want to do. Talk to an impartial pharmacy student. Do not "settle" for pharmacy. It will only breed disappointment.

Members don't see this ad.

if you are sure this is the right path...

get ur pharmD degree, ur already this far. then, look at ur old undergrad transcript. if it was a whole bunch of C/D/F that brought ur GPA down to 3.0 then i would take advantage of D.O. retake. policy that means retake all ur classes with C/D/F, that should bring ur GPA up quick 3.3+ (competitive range). then do well on MCAT. hopefully this takes no more than 1-2 years. if u are intent on M.D, uhh u probably have to take a whole bunch of hardcore undergrad math/science classes for the next 60+ credits (straight A's) to bring that GPA up to a 3.3+ (and this is even pushing it). this is all based on the assumption that u left undergrad with 110-120ish credits. then u ace the MCAT and start applying to both SMP-linked MD programs and a wide array of MD programs.

but this is gonna be a long path. u should probably shadow physicians (maybe get some connections through a hospital job/internship connected to ur pharm school?) during this arduous period and make sure this is what u wanna do. its not impossible tho, u better be 100% dedicated

Reactions: 1 users
Ive been in pharmacy school for 3 years. Orinallgu wanted med school but I lost hope of entering and settled on Pharm. In my 3 years of experience, I realized this was the worst mistake of my life. This profession is absolutely nothing like medicine and I cannot continue the rest of my life doing it. I'm in deep and pretty much have to graduate and aggressively pay off my loans.

My question is where can I go from there. I didn't have the best GPA in undergrad and it lowered even more when I realized I wanted to settle for pharmacy school (ended with a 3.0). I never was passionate about pharmacy school so I will most likely have a high 2.x when I graduate. Is there any hope or chance of me getting into a medical school at that point? What steps would I need to take (retaking classes, volunteering)? And would my experience in pharmacy school (and as a working pharmacist) count negatively against me? Positively? Also, I'd probably be around 30 by the time I begin applications. How would this factor into the equation as well.

As a final aside: to all pre-med students considering switching to pharmacy school, PLEASE reconsider this is what you want to do. Talk to an impartial pharmacy student. Do not "settle" for pharmacy. It will only breed disappointment.

This happens to us all... We work toward something and the "something" is not something we'd like to do forever.

I would agree with getting your PharmD. Learn everything, be good at it and at the end, you have a marketable skill. You may have to fight through a few years of "retail" pharmacy, but you'll be making good money, and this is a GOOD thing! Pay off your debts, see if you can get intertwined with a local hospital. I've worked with many pharmacists who were initially unhappy, but once they got onto a multidisciplinary team and could educate a team on a "sick" patient, they were much happier doing direct patient care.

Dropping your PharmD and trying to get into a different aspect of healthcare would be difficult. Admission committees may question your commitment, and if your grades weren't perfect, they would want to know why.

Get that degree. Get your qualifications. Practice. All the while you can shore up a CV heading toward something else, if that what you want. Clinical PharmD's/MD's are PRICELESS, and if you are PharmD and MD - you can have a great career in education or at big medical centers.

That said, exhaustion in a field or overall hatred of it will be self-destructive. Burnout is a serious problem with all healthcare workers. My opinion: You need to engage in the discipline or disciplines that satisfy you professionally.

Good Luck.

Reactions: 1 user