Deeply vexed and filled with trepadation. Still be a M.D.?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Purplepaperbag

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
If u don't want to hear my life story skip to the last paragraph. I might get a movie rights or write a sequel lol.

Right after highschool, I didn't bother applying to any UCs etc. I just went to community college. Did awesome first year. I dropped out my second yr. I got super depressed after speaking with the counselor. He suggested med school wasn't for me since I was basically raising my kid brother and sister, lack of finances so couldn't afford med school, and didn't graduate with the best gpa grade (2.7) so a lot was stacked against me so I just didn't show up to any of my classes (I know, selfish & stupid move) got a well paying job ($14-$21 p/h) and life got brighter for us. Fast forward 3yrs, parents finally got divorced and took responsibility over siblings. I got married and couldn't wait so we had a child. 3 yrs later I'm here. Unable to sleep wishing I had finished my bachelor's.

I was double majoring in micro-bio and chem-bio. (Not that hard. Same field) I also was minoring in physics. I really loved ap physics so I kept going at it. In highschool, I took advantage of any available med course such as Sports Med, EMT, CNA and LVN but I couldn't finish LVN since I was $2,000 too short for the other half of the LVN course... (I couldn't qualify for a loan since I had no credit and the adults I knew had really bad credit). It's easy to see the med field was really what I wanted to do. I wanted to be a M.D. since a kid.

Anyways, my stupid choice left a 3 yr gap after college and I have either failed or dropped marks on my record. (I hate it. Such disgrace). What can I do ? Med schools will see that. Should I even go back or just do RN? Or change field? Seriously, strangers, help me out sincerely. Thanks in advance.
Sincerely,
regret

Members don't see this ad.

Since it's been some time and med school is your dream, then I would suggest finishing college and/or doa postbacc and see how you do in such a program. Your ability to handle life experiences is a valuable skill to have and not one many students have. If you can successfully reinvent yourself in your upcoming coursework, you will know you can handle it and while you are at it explore your options in healthcare fields.

Reactions: 2 users
I know a LOT of people who have dropped out of college the first time, then gotten their heads together and made a huge come back. I think going back to college is doable and you should go for it. Take each semester at a time. Think of it like a little test - Can I get through this semester with good grades? After you do well with one semester, try another. I will say that you probably don't want to jump in full throttle - take a light course load and get used to learning again. If you make it through you'll have an amazing story. Just don't put too much pressure on yourself. Remind yourself of how much you enjoy what you're learning and take it one day at a time.

Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I've wanted to be an MD since I was six. I abolutely love medicine.

But if I was in your position, I wouldn't do it. Being a doctor whilst single is hard enough let alone doing it while having a family. You need to think about your wife and kid (and future kids).

If you love healthcare that much, become a PA. It is a very stable job that you could get within the next 5-7 years.

If you want to be an MD, it would take you at least 10 years to get everything (3 years of trying to get into med school, 4 years of med school, 3 years of residency). 10 years total. And 3 years of trying to get into med school means 2 years of application building (since the third year is the app cycle) with is dangerously pushing it in your case. In reality it might take 12-15 years for you.

Remember that family comes first. I'm sorry to say it but not many marriages will be able to withstand a spouse going through med school, especially with kids involved and especially cause by the time you start med school you will have more responsibilities as a parent.

Unable to sleep wishing I had finished my bachelor's

It seems that finishing a bachelor's is what your heart is set on, and internal motivation is a powerful force when it comes to accomplishing one's goals. If I had to go back to school after 3 years off, I would most definitely take things slow. Are you still in California? I can't say I'm deeply knowledgable about the structure of higher ed in that state, but where I'm from, community colleges have linkage programs with nearby private universities (2 years cc -> 2 years to finish your BS or BA). This type of arrangement would give you a chance to gradually ease back into being a fulltime student from the perspective of both cost and academic rigor. I would recommend contacting (multiple) admissions offices in 4-year universities near you to see whether any similar opportunities to this exist in your area. Make sure financial aspects are discussed thoroughly. They would know better than strangers on some internet forum!

You have faced more difficulty in your life than is typical, but that should be viewed as a sign of strength, not weakness. In my opinion, medical school is still bit too far down the road for to be worrying single-mindedly about it, but should med school still be in the cards in a couple years, the admissions committees will surely take your earlier hardships into account when evaluating you as a candidate. (One thing to note, however, is that most medical schools recommend you take the prerequisite courses at a 4-year university. This might complicate, but not invalidate, the pathway I outlined above). You also mentioned the possibility of RN; I know that there are accelerated BSN programs for students who already have BA/BS degrees, so that could also be an option if you are interested in a career in healthcare but decide against going the MD/DO route.

Reactions: 1 user
If u don't want to hear my life story skip to the last paragraph. I might get a movie rights or write a sequel lol.

Right after highschool, I didn't bother applying to any UCs etc. I just went to community college. Did awesome first year. I dropped out my second yr. I got super depressed after speaking with the counselor. He suggested med school wasn't for me since I was basically raising my kid brother and sister, lack of finances so couldn't afford med school, and didn't graduate with the best gpa grade (2.7) so a lot was stacked against me so I just didn't show up to any of my classes (I know, selfish & stupid move) got a well paying job ($14-$21 p/h) and life got brighter for us. Fast forward 3yrs, parents finally got divorced and took responsibility over siblings. I got married and couldn't wait so we had a child. 3 yrs later I'm here. Unable to sleep wishing I had finished my bachelor's.

I was double majoring in micro-bio and chem-bio. (Not that hard. Same field) I also was minoring in physics. I really loved ap physics so I kept going at it. In highschool, I took advantage of any available med course such as Sports Med, EMT, CNA and LVN but I couldn't finish LVN since I was $2,000 too short for the other half of the LVN course... (I couldn't qualify for a loan since I had no credit and the adults I knew had really bad credit). It's easy to see the med field was really what I wanted to do. I wanted to be a M.D. since a kid.

Anyways, my stupid choice left a 3 yr gap after college and I have either failed or dropped marks on my record. (I hate it. Such disgrace). What can I do ? Med schools will see that. Should I even go back or just do RN? Or change field? Seriously, strangers, help me out sincerely. Thanks in advance.
Sincerely,
regret
Read this:

Sincerely,
regret
I think you should follow your dream of becoming a doctor. In a way, your academic record, if there is much yet to be done, could work to your advantage by boosting gpa. If you have the academic ability and good mcat scores, I would think adcoms would be favorably impressed with your determination and sincerity. It sounds like you have much more to do, all of which can be impressive, to r/o a med school run!

Reactions: 1 user
I think you should follow your dream of becoming a doctor. In a way, your academic record, if there is much yet to be done, could work to your advantage by boosting gpa. If you have the academic ability and good mcat scores, I would think adcoms would be favorably impressed with your determination and sincerity. It sounds like you have much more to do, all of which can be impressive, to r/o a med school run!

I agree; your journey is just beginning.