defend your school...

This forum made possible through the generous support of
SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gsinccom

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know....I know....it doesn't matter where you get your OD degree from you are an OD nonetheless! From the research I've done though it seems that UCB, Pacific, SCO, Houston, SCCO, SUNY, and Ohio State (in no particular order, of course) are regarded as the top schools...
your thoughts?

Members don't see this ad.

Hello,

Based on GPA and OAT averages, it would appear that UCB would be the best school. Berkeley requires several more pre-reqs than other schools and is typically considered one of the more difficult schools to get into. People also may have the perception that Berkeley is the best optometry school because it is an excellent and well-known university and there is a lot of research done here.

I already had this perception before I attended Berkeley, so I'm not saying this just because I'm a student here! Every school has its own pros and cons. Just to be fair, I'll list some cons. The equipment in our pre-clinic is ancient, actually...our building is kinda older looking in general. In additoin, because or our location, we probably don't see as many diverse cases as SUNY or ICO.

Ning-Ju

What about OSU. It sounds like they have a really good program as well. There avg OAT score and GPA of thier entering class is amoung the best. I was really looking into going there. UCB is a little far away for me (from MI). Ning.. if you dont mind me asking what was your OAT and GPA that got you in to UCB? I have about 3.5 and a 360TS .. 340AA. Thanks

Members don't see this ad :)
I've always heard really good things. We also have a new eye clinic that is probably the largest in the nation. It is really really nice! And since our school is located in downtown memphis, we have a very diverse patient base with lots of pathology so it gives you really great experience. You definately see more problems in the clinic then you will out in the "real" world.

gsinccom said:
I know....I know....it doesn't matter where you get your OD degree from you are an OD nonetheless! From the research I've done though it seems that UCB, Pacific, SCO, Houston, SCCO, SUNY, and Ohio State (in no particular order, of course) are regarded as the top schools...
your thoughts?

Some schools have different philosophies than other schools. My opinion is that some schools seem to focus on different parts of the optometric education, neglecting other important parts. Of course, there's a lot to learn in 4 years, and not ALL of it can be taught/learned. I think the bottom line is this: a well rounded education will provide more tools for you to treat patients. An example of this might be a school that focuses more on medical optometry, having a narrow view on the behavioral aspect of optometry, like bincoular vision/vision therapy. That's one of the reasons I'm at Pacific, because I am paying good money for a good, well rounded education...

Hey,

Cool stuff, I'm from Michigan too!!! I attended University of Michigan, Ann Arbor and just graduated. My OAT stats were exactly the same as yours. When I applied, my GPA was like 3.65 or something. Which school are you attending?

Yes yes, California is quite far but I love it here! They have a really great campus (although the surrounding area is pretty ghetto) and lovely San Francisco is only a 20min train ride away. By the way, I hated the cold weather in MI. Plus there's so much more to do, see, and eat around here! I'm Asian so I really ike the culture and food in Cali.

I lived in Ann Arbor for around 11 years and since my family lived like 15min away from school, I never really had a chance to experience living independently. Of course it's a huge change and I'll miss my family lots and lots, you'll get a chance to meet new people here. Everyone in my class is extremely nice. However, if you're Caucasian, you may feel a little strange at first being surrounded by so many Asians :)

Basically, don't be afraid of applying here. Once you come for the interview, you should know if Berkeley and California are good for!

Ning-Ju

gsinccom said:
your thoughts?
Fine ignore UAB :( with an average entereing GPA of 3.65, we have the highest entereing GPA of all the optometry schools in 2004. UAB also recieves more research funding than any other optometry school in the nation. :)

I go to UAB, and its a great school. Its very difficult! Also, Northwestern is a great school too. They are on an indian resorvation so they have an AMAZING Patient base. Also they learn how to use lasers, and actully use .. I think the reason you dont hear so much about these schools is that they except so few students each year. Northwestern only accepts 26 and UAB only accepts 40. So if your from out of state the chances are pretty slim.

UAB's clinic, holier than thou attitude, and obsession with Dr. Delucas were turn offs for me. The clinic is newly renovated, but the patient base is rather weak. There are at least two of us from SC that got accepted there and turned it down for SCO. If you want to do research though, UAB is probably one of the best if not THE best.

i think all the optometry schools provides adequate education to be a great optometrist! i am not putting any school down, though i do not think we should used gpa as a major factor for comparing schools. some schools are state schools, requiring that most of thier students come from either only that state or neighboring states. this decreases the applicant pool. say for oklahoma, those that go to any of the UC schools in california will be excluded. Undergrad schools vary in difficulty and the gpa will vary accordingly (which is why admissions is base on so many factors). kind of like comparing a harvard gpa (say grade inflation doesnt exist :) ) to a state school gpa, its impossible, you need a standardized method.

UCB is a great example. they attract probably high gpa and oat scores because most opt hopeful in the UC system and california wants to go there, increasing its caliber of applicants, but at the sametime discourages someone in oklahoma who might be just as capable, and vice versa (UCB says they do not discriminate but most applicants are california resdients).

the only objective way to compare school is probably the OAT and NEBO scores as everyone takes them. that being said, each school is unique in its on way and appeal to different types of people.

IMO, since the end result is most important, ill say the NEBO pass rate is the best indicator, but that is just me. on a personal note, i know that i will only apply to schools that does not discriminate against out of staters.

.....i know that i will only apply to schools that does not discriminate against out of staters....[/QUOTE]

You do know that these schools BY LAW have to take a majority from there own state? I wouldn't call it discrimination since they are legally bound. Seeing as how you can get in state tuition after your first year at a few of these schools, you could be coming out ahead if you did consider them.

Ning said:
Hello,

Based on GPA and OAT averages, it would appear that UCB would be the best school. Berkeley requires several more pre-reqs than other schools and is typically considered one of the more difficult schools to get into. People also may have the perception that Berkeley is the best optometry school because it is an excellent and well-known university and there is a lot of research done here.

I already had this perception before I attended Berkeley, so I'm not saying this just because I'm a student here! Every school has its own pros and cons. Just to be fair, I'll list some cons. The equipment in our pre-clinic is ancient, actually...our building is kinda older looking in general. In additoin, because or our location, we probably don't see as many diverse cases as SUNY or ICO.

Ning-Ju

The bay area is pimp, but the some of the politics that surround the faculty and instructors suck.

The school probably tried to cut down on the nerd factor, as they have impletmented interviews over the past couple of years.

In the past, students have asked why they didn't conduct interviews. The admissions comittee defended their position in this matter. Not much change over the course of the few years, but now they conduct interviews. If you ask them why? The comittee would probably say something like...'well, we saw changes that needed to be made in order to improve 'the school', and thus we implemented interviews'...or something to that effect. Get real, any excuse is a lame one. They should've been conducting interviews for the past 15-20 years (just like all the other schools).

Campus is great!

Ass kissing level is realtively high (sad but true).

Students need to use windex to clean display cases - this is ******ed. Did you pay 25k per year in tuition to learn to clean glass? They tell you that this is to teach you that things need to be clean...get real, this is a joke. Students are here to learn principles, not to do custodian work.

Students are mildly competitve as the nerd factor is typically high (in the past. present?)

nerd = not very well rounded.

great for research.

lectures were average at best - most profs were good, some need to be fired.

good skit night

drinks are expensive in the bay area

bottom line is that campus, school and the program is good - but you need to over look many negative factors about the program / adminstration in order to get the most out of your experience. the sad truth is that some of the rules / policies / guidelines set by those who run the program are not in the best interest of the students.

ucbsowarrior said:
The bay area is pimp, but the some of the politics that surround the faculty and instructors suck.

The school probably tried to cut down on the nerd factor, as they have impletmented interviews over the past couple of years.

In the past, students have asked why they didn't conduct interviews. The admissions comittee defended their position in this matter. Not much change over the course of the few years, but now they conduct interviews. If you ask them why? The comittee would probably say something like...'well, we saw changes that needed to be made in order to improve 'the school', and thus we implemented interviews'...or something to that effect. Get real, any excuse is a lame one. They should've been conducting interviews for the past 15-20 years (just like all the other schools).

Campus is great!

Ass kissing level is realtively high (sad but true).

Students need to use windex to clean display cases - this is ******ed. Did you pay 25k per year in tuition to learn to clean glass? They tell you that this is to teach you that things need to be clean...get real, this is a joke. Students are here to learn principles, not to do custodian work.

Students are mildly competitve as the nerd factor is typically high (in the past. present?)

nerd = not very well rounded.

great for research.

lectures were average at best - most profs were good, some need to be fired.

good skit night

drinks are expensive in the bay area

bottom line is that campus, school and the program is good - but you need to over look many negative factors about the program / adminstration in order to get the most out of your experience. the sad truth is that some of the rules / policies / guidelines set by those who run the program are not in the best interest of the students.

When did they start conducting interviews? I have to agree with you, a lot of the student in my class are very very studious. I think even the upperclassman were saying that.

Most of the professors I've had thus far are pretty good! Of course I've only been here one semester. Then there are definitely some that need to be kicked off!

Did you feel that the school was extremely poor? I feel that in some ways in kinda limits our educational experience.

Ning-Ju

Members don't see this ad :)
First, I think the real reason for the disproportionate number of CA residents to out-of-state students is location/cost considerations for out of staters, and is not really reflective of "discrimination". As high as our tuition is now, I don't know that going to a private school would be any more expensive than Berkeley for a non-resident, and it's pretty far/isolating/overwhelming if you're not from the area or an urban environment.

So far, I am really enjoying my education at Cal. Some instructors are fantastic while others leave something to be desired, to say the least. My theory about those instructors is that they are SO passionate about their specialties that they can't "dumb it down" for the likes of 1st year OD students. For some classes, I wish our instructors were ODs who practiced somewhere and only taught here and weren't so ensconced in research. Nonetheless, I do feel like I am learning a lot. I LOVE our clinical instructors and also love that we were in preclinic on the first day of class, using the slit lamp. It is a great reminder of why we are here at all.

Interview process: I feel like it is just for show. What I've heard is that when interviews started 5 (?) years ago, 90% were interviewed and 10% received early acceptances based on application. For our class, that number fell to 50% interviewed. I think that's a disgrace. Most of my classmates, early acceptance or otherwise, really want to be here and I think will make great clinicians. But I can't help but thinking that, for early candidates, ability to excel outside the classroom is merely by chance. On that note, I hope the high mean GPA/OAT scores don't dissuade people from applying, because I think some of my strongest classmates are those who had to struggle to get here. That's also why I think the interview system is flawed, because they smartest guy in our class was on the waitlist until August. The other problem with the interview is that there are no baseline questions. The reported theory is that they don't want to confine people to a set list, but I think that is a euphemism for being lazy. My interview was the most excruciating "conversation" I have ever had, mostly because I felt it was stilted and neither of my interviewers were much interested in talking to anyone, let alone me.

On the janitorial thing, I do think there is certain "reindeer games" philosophy going on, where the 1st year is put in charge of all kinds of weird miscellany (e.g., cleaning student lounge, equipment orders, Eyeball), but it's not anything worse than I experienced in the military (don't know if that's really a good argument). I've heard that some schools have it even worse, with students manning the mailroom and the cafeteria, so I guess a few "rites of passage" are acceptable.

I am hopeful that the Berkeley philosophy will change. We have a new Student Affairs Officer, who I think is going to help shift our mentality from overly academic to a more corporate approach to running a school. Let me clarify that I don't mean Berkeley will turn into an OD mill but that the curriculum will undergo more cost/benefit analysis. The thing is that Berkeley has to be committed to turning out good clinicians, and I just don't think they're there yet. But I love a good fight, so I will continue to voice my opinion about how Berkeley markets itself to candidates, how the school can help me succeed, how to help students get the most out of this education that is reputedly so great. If "effecting change" is something you're interested in, I think Cal is a good choice for you.

-p.dot

I'm surprised to hear that 1st years at certain schools have "janitorial" duties. When do they have you do these? During lab times? Does it count towards something?

manning the mailroom and the cafeteria? which schools are these?

Hoston...the only chioce!
Go Astros!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Houston has a fantastic program. It has a great building on a large urban campus. You start clinics early (2nd year) so a lot of patient exposure. The ex-dean has been promoted to Provost of the University of Houston. This means a lot of endowment for the college. They have plans I hear of adding a surgical center and they already offer a neuro-ophtamology rotation with 2 Nationally recognized MD's, one of whom ran the Neurology program at the University of Texas Medical Branch at Glaveston. In addition the have fantastic residency programs in low vision and peds and a research facility on the third floor with the Nations top researchers in vision science, physiology, and many other applied disiplines. Houston is a great city. texas people are warm and hospitable and if you don't come here we'll be forced to kick your ass! (j/k) did I mention our Baseball team rocks??!!
:)

I'd really like to apply to Houston. Unfortunatley I'm not a Texas resident and there is almost zero chance I could move there 1 year before starting OD school which is what they require to gain residency. That means I either have to pay much more to go there or look at my next best options. I'm leaning towards applying to SCCO, SCO and Pacific. They all seem to be comparable to Houston in terms of the overall educational experience one is offered. thoughts?

I think OSU also has a really good program... it sounds like it is one of the top OD schools as well. After 1 year you can claim residency pretty easily. However, the first year is 37K OUCH! but after that goes down to 13K. Still cheaper in the long run that attending a private school!

OSU allows residency after 1 year? From what I've discovered only UAB and SUNY allow this. The other state schools require you to have resided there (at least 1 year) before starting OD school.

Yes... OSU allows this. I can not find in on thier website right now, but when I visted them and on the material thay sent me they said almost all out of state students apply and gain residency after the first year. They highly encourage it also.

gsinccom said:
manning the mailroom and the cafeteria? which schools are these?

Berkeley doesnt' have a mailroom or cafeteria, but students rotating through the clinic eyewear center have been made to dust cabinets and sweep floors as part of the learning experience the learning experience. Cheap labor, especially when the labor pays more and more $$$ each year for the privilege.

gsinccom said:
OSU allows residency after 1 year? From what I've discovered only UAB and SUNY allow this. The other state schools require you to have resided there (at least 1 year) before starting OD school.

The out-of-state students at Berkeley also can gain residency after a year, you just have to "prove" you are planning to stay in CA after you've graduated.

Ning said:
When did they start conducting interviews? I have to agree with you, a lot of the student in my class are very very studious. I think even the upperclassman were saying that.

Most of the professors I've had thus far are pretty good! Of course I've only been here one semester. Then there are definitely some that need to be kicked off!

Did you feel that the school was extremely poor? I feel that in some ways in kinda limits our educational experience.

Ning-Ju

Most students will be happy with the program. Most won't analyse the program with high scrunity.
There's bs with any program, but i think there's just a bit more politics at berkeley than many other schools.
There are a lot of poser clinical instructors that are just lamo. Then again they have some excellent ones too.
The patients are great, as there is a diverse pool in the bay area.

Sunday clinic? That's another joke! How the hell can i party on saturday with sunday clinc?O**&

Student lounge? This place need a better tv and stereo system!

Security? it is widely known by the homeless community that ucbso is a great place to sleep when it gets cold outside.

Instructor? a lot of females i knew told me about this one prof that had a matress in his office. he would welcome the (female) students to come talk with him for a little extra help? the friggen bed thing just weirds people out, i think it's ******ed.

Sex in the lecture hall: it is well known by many ucbso alumnus that plenty of students, instructors have flipped more than a few dials in the audio video room. they have to send the cold case team in there to check for bodily fluids and then dna sample them with some instructors, students. The moral of the story is if you want to have sex in a lecture hall...ucbso should be your first choice! This is a great question to ask during your interview at ucbso :laugh:

There are too many stories....sorry can't share them all

At one point before your time at ucbso, the uc regents considered shutting down the whole operation. i don't think too many students or instructors even knew about this. but if you talk to those on the board of the uc regents this can be confirmed. they did not feel that ucbso was needed at ucb.

later!

Hines302 said:
Yes... OSU allows this. I can not find in on thier website right now, but when I visted them and on the material thay sent me they said almost all out of state students apply and gain residency after the first year. They highly encourage it also.

As I am a first year at OSU, I can confirm that you can establish residency after the first year. However, you must meet certain requirements in order to do so. There are two scenarios. First, if you are married to someone who works in Ohio, you can gain residency after one year. Here's the second scenario that most fall into...

1. You must live in Ohio for 12 months
2. You also must have a form of I.D. in Ohio, such as a driver's license, voter's registration card, car registration, etc.
3. While living in Ohio for the 12 months, you must show that you are able to support yourself financially and cannot receive any funds from out of Ohio.

So, as long as you take out loans, save a little money, and follow the rules, you can establish residency.

ucbsowarrior said:
Most students will be happy with the program. Most won't analyse the program with high scrunity.
There's bs with any program, but i think there's just a bit more politics at berkeley than many other schools.
There are a lot of poser clinical instructors that are just lamo. Then again they have some excellent ones too.
The patients are great, as there is a diverse pool in the bay area.

Sunday clinic? That's another joke! How the hell can i party on saturday with sunday clinc?O**&

Student lounge? This place need a better tv and stereo system!

Security? it is widely known by the homeless community that ucbso is a great place to sleep when it gets cold outside.

Instructor? a lot of females i knew told me about this one prof that had a matress in his office. he would welcome the (female) students to come talk with him for a little extra help? the friggen bed thing just weirds people out, i think it's ******ed.

Sex in the lecture hall: it is well known by many ucbso alumnus that plenty of students, instructors have flipped more than a few dials in the audio video room. they have to send the cold case team in there to check for bodily fluids and then dna sample them with some instructors, students. The moral of the story is if you want to have sex in a lecture hall...ucbso should be your first choice! This is a great question to ask during your interview at ucbso :laugh:

There are too many stories....sorry can't share them all

At one point before your time at ucbso, the uc regents considered shutting down the whole operation. i don't think too many students or instructors even knew about this. but if you talk to those on the board of the uc regents this can be confirmed. they did not feel that ucbso was needed at ucb.

later!

To clarify a few things...the prof had a couch in his office, not a bed -- but I heard it had a leopard skin cover.

They remodeled the main lecture room a few years ago, so there's only a small audio-video closet -- you'd have to do it standing up now. It was nice and roomy (and quiet) in the past.

The homeless people usually don't sleep in Minor Hall, but they look for aluminum cans on occasion. Like anywhere on campus, if you don't tie your stuff down and then let it out of your sight for a minute, it'll get ripped off. The homeless do well at graduation time -- lots of outdoor receptions for noshing.

Sunday clinic is real, and it sucks. Saturday clinic sucks too.

Not sure about the regents wanting to shut UCBSO down, but they did want to move it to an off-campus site. It wouldn't be surprising if a few regents wanted to get rid of the school, though -- it's easy to see it as a trade school, but OTOH there's an excellent physiological optics research faculty, so that make the place academic enough to keep everyone happy.

Elfego Baca said:
To clarify a few things...the prof had a couch in his office, not a bed -- but I heard it had a leopard skin cover.

They remodeled the main lecture room a few years ago, so there's only a small audio-video closet -- you'd have to do it standing up now. It was nice and roomy (and quiet) in the past.

The homeless people usually don't sleep in Minor Hall, but they look for aluminum cans on occasion. Like anywhere on campus, if you don't tie your stuff down and then let it out of your sight for a minute, it'll get ripped off. The homeless do well at graduation time -- lots of outdoor receptions for noshing.

Sunday clinic is real, and it sucks. Saturday clinic sucks too.

Not sure about the regents wanting to shut UCBSO down, but they did want to move it to an off-campus site. It wouldn't be surprising if a few regents wanted to get rid of the school, though -- it's easy to see it as a trade school, but OTOH there's an excellent physiological optics research faculty, so that make the place academic enough to keep everyone happy.

The couch was a futon bed that came in handy when students (female or male) needed a few extra grades. The leopard skin cover matched the profs leopard skin underwear.

The Berkeley Loafer's Guide notes that....Optometry (490 Minor): Warm, bright, clean, new and dead quiet. The noisy optometrists head for the lounge, where there's food and TV. The link is here http://www.intemperance.net/berkeley/berkeley3.html. The only real way to control this situation is to put up a sign on the fridge saying 'some food is poisioned, eat at own risk!' (just joking)

Homeless folks like sleeping in Minor Hall.

As to the sex locations, the old av room in the lecture hall was a favorite, but all I can say is that there were many locations that students and a few select instructors used. Like i said they need the cold case team to go in and make a few matches.

Who implemented Sunday clinic? What were the reasons for doing so? or what reasons do you think faculty had? I'd like to hear some ideas.

I have to run, but I'll fill you in on more later :thumbup:

ucbsowarrior said:
The couch was a futon bed that came in handy when students (female or male) needed a few extra grades. The leopard skin cover matched the profs leopard skin underwear.

The Berkeley Loafer's Guide notes that....Optometry (490 Minor): Warm, bright, clean, new and dead quiet. The noisy optometrists head for the lounge, where there's food and TV. The link is here http://www.intemperance.net/berkeley/berkeley3.html. The only real way to control this situation is to put up a sign on the fridge saying 'some food is poisioned, eat at own risk!' (just joking)

As to the sex locations, the old av room in the lecture hall was a favorite, but all I can say is that there were many locations that students and a few select instructors used. Like i said they need the cold case team to go in and make a few matches.

Who implemented Sunday clinic? What were the reasons for doing so? or what reasons do you think faculty had? I'd like to hear some ideas.

I have to run, but I'll fill you in on more later :thumbup:

My understanding is that the Sunday clinic was started pretty much because the clinic director decided to do so -- the clinic faculty and the students don't have much say in how the clinic is run. It started out just a half-day but gradually got ratcheted up to a full day. Since the students aren't paid and there's a skeleton crew of staff on Sunday, it makes economic sense even if a lot of students don't like it. Some actually don't mind because it gives them a free weekday, though it blows if your days off aren't together, and it really blows on the long holiday weekends like Thanksgiving (the Saturday and Sundays of holiday weekends are regular clinic days). Some students like to be in Eyewear Center on Sunday because it's pretty dead.

Saturday and Sunday rotations are pretty much filled by the younger clinical instructors that don't have any seniority, so I don't think that weekend duty is very popular with the instructors, except maybe those who have tough commutes -- it's a lot easier getting around the Bay Area on weekend mornings compared to weekdays.

ucbsowarrior said:

I have to run, but I'll fill you in on more later

Elfego Baca said:
My understanding is that the Sunday clinic was started pretty much because the clinic director decided to do so -- the clinic faculty and the students don't have much say in how the clinic is run. It started out just a half-day but gradually got ratcheted up to a full day. Since the students aren't paid and there's a skeleton crew of staff on Sunday, it makes economic sense even if a lot of students don't like it. Some actually don't mind because it gives them a free weekday, though it blows if your days off aren't together, and it really blows on the long holiday weekends like Thanksgiving (the Saturday and Sundays of holiday weekends are regular clinic days). Some students like to be in Eyewear Center on Sunday because it's pretty dead.

Saturday and Sunday rotations are pretty much filled by the younger clinical instructors that don't have any seniority, so I don't think that weekend duty is very popular with the instructors, except maybe those who have tough commutes -- it's a lot easier getting around the Bay Area on weekend mornings compared to weekdays.

so you are telling me one single person at the school decided to have sunday clinic...and poof...it was done? there's not committee? that's pretty sad.

does the individual who decided sunday clinic was going to be a great thing ever come in on sundays? i'd like to know the answer to this one :oops:

as to weekend duty for instructors: i don't think there are a lot of jobs for ods in the san francisco bay area, so many new grads or ods have to take what they can - in terms of work. i'm sure there are those that go in b/c they like to teach, but i'm sure there's a good percentage that just go in b/c they need some cash (even though there really isn't too much cash working for a school)

students like the eyewear center on sundays b/c there is nothing to do??? you gotta be kidding me! there's always glass to clean with windex, garbage to throw away and frames to wipe down. there's always plenty to do in the eyewear centre!....REMEMBER YOU NEED TO LEARN THE PRINCIPALS OF HOW TO BE A GOOD CUSTODIAN while you are in opto school.....i guess you can think of it as a dual degree program :laugh:

As promised...I'm back with more important info :D

For those that are currently at ucb or planning to visit...be sure to visit INSPIRATIONAL POINT located in Tilden Park. Great views and only a 5 minute drive from the school - up the mountain.

If you like smoking up, I've seen some a clinical instructor smoke up with a couple of students....but not in the AV room :laugh:

So if smoking up is an activity you enjoy....ucbso should be your school of choice :thumbup:

...and who knows, maybe you can solidify that pot is a viable option for treating high eye pressure :luck:

back to more serious stuff....the pre-clinic exam rooms are a joke. i hope that there have been funds put aside to upgrade some of the equipment in some of the lanes in the pre-clinic. the slitlamps are acceptable, but the phoropters are b and l greens that are way out of date.

ruby lens is a great too, but i felt that ucbso didn't train those in my class wrt to the ruby lens....but overall, i'd have to say that the clinic training at ucbso will suffice for those who plan on practicing at a primary eye care practice....

So far i've heard about a lot of schools, but no one has mentioned PCO , how does it rank??

sembaruthi said:
So far i've heard about a lot of schools, but no one has mentioned PCO , how does it rank??

average

....i'm waiting for the flames :idea:

How do people on SDN view ICO? I mean, I love that school, the staff, & the facilities. What do you guys think? How does it rank among all the optometry schools? Above average?

No matter where your going to opt school you are going to come out being a great Doc. An Optometrist is an Optometrist no matter where they graduate from. ICO is a great school and is no exception.

However, I do think that the opt schools with the best reputation are the schools that are associated with major universities. OSU.. UAB.. UH... Berkly... UMSL.

Not trying to start a fight... just my two cents :)

agreed! :)

Hines302 said:
No matter where your going to opt school you are going to come out being a great Doc. An Optometrist is an Optometrist no matter where they graduate from.

huh? what are you talking about? i GET the fact that you have a dislike for NECO. however, that does not change the fact that i am attending next fall. seriously dude, it's kinda disappointing to see you so bitter all the time. i'm worried for you... :scared: take care.

ucbsowarrior said:
neco is a high weedout school. would you agree?

ariel winter said:
huh? what are you talking about? i GET the fact that you have a dislike for NECO. however, that does not change the fact that i am attending next fall. seriously dude, it's kinda disappointing to see you so bitter all the time. i'm worried for you... :scared: take care.

I just wanted to clarify that I don't have a dislike for NECO. I think NECO is an ok school, but that doesn't negate the fact that it ranks higher than normal on the weedout list. These facts are based on statistics that the admissions committee may possibly provide you upon request. No one is bitter, I would just advise those that are borderline applicants to stay clear of those schools that are known to dismiss students for poor academic performance. If you feel that you are an above average student than I guess you have nothing to worry about....other than seeing some of your peers suffer through some of the courses....and some will be dismissed after second semester....this can be assured. i'm bringing reality to the game? information that is negative, but useful to those on this forum. the happy happy mentality isn't going to get students too far when they graduate :smuggrin: it's better to be realistic when you make life altering decisions. all the best in your principals of opto course :smuggrin: getting accepted into opto school could be the best or worst day of your life in hindsight....better be careful :D

all this reality is awesome. you have shown us the negatives, care to shed some light on the positives? or is this a one angle view?

thanks still_confused. i would like to know this too! :)

still_confused said:
all this reality is awesome. you have shown us the negatives, care to shed some light on the positives? or is this a one angle view?

Hey guys c'mon, why isn't ucbso allowed to express the "negatives"? If that's what he wants to do, let him. It's like me asking you, why are you always so positive. I don't ever see some of you writing anything negative... there's always two sides to the story, and it's nice to read a little bit of both! :)

JC1984 said:
Hey guys c'mon, why isn't ucbso not allowed to express the "negatives"? If that's what he wants to do, let him. It's like me asking you, why are you always so positive. I don't ever see some of you writing anything negative... there's always two sides to the story, and it's nice to read a little bit of both! :)

I agree. You have to handle all information coming at you the good, the bad and the ugly. Always positive isn't realistic. The whole truth, pretty or not, will give you the most information to make the right decisions. Why is that such a terrible thing?

JC1984 said:
Hey guys c'mon, why isn't ucbso not allowed to express the "negatives"? If that's what he wants to do, let him. It's like me asking you, why are you always so positive. I don't ever see some of you writing anything negative... there's always two sides to the story, and it's nice to read a little bit of both! :)

dont get me wrong , i enjoy the negatives, he/she does us a great service by the "reality" check.

only problem is there are lots of REAL BAD negatives he/she suggests (weed out schools, prof with "sofas", blatant abuse by the faculty,) these are accusations that seriously damages any school. i dont think its fair that someone who might just read a few threads in this forum to leave with impression that NECO straight up sucks and will take your money and flunk you. or that UCB require certain "favors" in order to pass. lots of people are looking for information, and these are accusations that are very damaging if they are unsubstantiated.

If you a borderline applicant, maybe a weed-out school would be better -- at least you can get in. Just because you're a borderline applicant doesn't mean you won't be a good optometry student and optometrist.

As far as profs banging students at UCBSO, there's probably not much of that going on anymore. UC has adopted strict guidelines about that kind of stuff after the law school dean resigned because of a sex scandal.

very well said! :)

still_confused said:
dont get me wrong , i enjoy the negatives, he/she does us a great service by the "reality" check.

only problem is there are lots of REAL BAD negatives he/she suggests (weed out schools, prof with "sofas", blatant abuse by the faculty,) these are accusations that seriously damages any school. i dont think its fair that someone who might just read a few threads in this forum to leave with impression that NECO straight up sucks and will take your money and flunk you. or that UCB require certain "favors" in order to pass. lots of people are looking for information, and these are accusations that are very damaging if they are unsubstantiated.

still_confused said:

I was just thinking he reminded me of Reality_Check...

Anyway, as far as weeding out students for poor performance, I don't think that's the case at UCB (at least so far). For one of our classes, the mean was the cut-off for A- and everyone below that got at least a B. They tried to scare us on orientation day by saying there was no curve for any classes. It doesn't matter I guess, but it's another example of how the school doesn't respect us enough to tell us the truth. Sometimes I feel their rhetoric is no better than military recruiters'.

polkadot said:
I was just thinking he reminded me of Reality_Check...

Anyway, as far as weeding out students for poor performance, I don't think that's the case at UCB (at least so far). For one of our classes, the mean was the cut-off for A- and everyone below that got at least a B. They tried to scare us on orientation day by saying there was no curve for any classes. It doesn't matter I guess, but it's another example of how the school doesn't respect us enough to tell us the truth. Sometimes I feel their rhetoric is no better than military recruiters'.

How do these cut-offs and grading work? Are you talking about marks at the end of the year or for exams? When you say "everyone below that got at least a B" seems like they just assign marks ? I'm just confused as to how you get your marks in opt school.

So if I got an A, but everyone else did better than me, they'd bump me down to a B?

As for "weed-out" schools, do they weed out people based soley on poor performance or poor performance compared to others?? If that's the case, it's scary to think that even though you pass on paper, they'd adjust marks to kick you out. Also, wouldn't that really promote competition in a school which produces professionals that are supposed to work together? :confused: