Defense mechanism and associated with pd

Started by Merely
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Merely

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
What are the defense mechanisms associated with each of the specific personality disorders? I know that borderline is associated with splitting but I can’t seem to find if any of the others have classic defense mechanisms they are associated with? Thanks for your insights
 
What are the defense mechanisms associated with each of the specific personality disorders? I know that borderline is associated with splitting but I can’t seem to find if any of the others have classic defense mechanisms they are associated with? Thanks for your insights

Well avoidance would be typical of Avoidant personality disorder...

Beyond that I'd say Rationalization would be typical of antisocial patients (nothing is their fault), Projection would be seen in narcissists, and idealization can often be seen in dependent personality disorder (especially those dependent on SO's). Those with more experience can correct me on those, but these are the things I recall being mentioned to me throughout my clinical rotations.

Those are what I saw in a clinical setting. In terms of board/shelf exam questions, I'm not sure there are classic associations other than splitting in borderline patients.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Well avoidance would be typical of Avoidant personality disorder...

Beyond that I'd say Rationalization would be typical of antisocial patients (nothing is their fault), Projection would be seen in narcissists, and idealization can often be seen in dependent personality disorder (especially those dependent on SO's). Those with more experience can correct me on those, but these are the things I recall being mentioned to me throughout my clinical rotations.

Those are what I saw in a clinical setting. In terms of board/shelf exam questions, I'm not sure there are classic associations other than splitting in borderline patients.

I think the reason being that everyone uses pretty much all of them more or less, to varying degrees in life

we have have psychology to defend, lol

Splitting comes up with borderline I think because of how problematic this can be for the healthcare team

the rest of the mechanisms you just sorta deal with, with everyone more or less
 
Saying that somebody has borderline persondality disorder describes a DSM diagnosis but really tells you nothing about the patient's individual personality structure--it is just a collection of symptoms. As you may know, the term borderline originally referred to a level of functioning and NOT typology of personality--borderline is borderland between psychotic functioning and high neurotic functinoing. The group of people Gunderson studied when coming up with DSM criteria were primarily hystrionic, hence the hystrionic nature of people who tend to be labeled with BPD.

Remember that it is NOT the presence of immature defense mechanisms that defines a personality disorder (we all have these under stress, etc.) it is the LACK of mature ones.

Somebody above recommended Nancy McWilliams book "Psychoanalytic Diagnosis"--if you want to get an overview of personality structure and how to think about it in a more sophisticated way, I'd start there.

Psychotic--borderline--neurotic--mature refers to level of functioning. Various typological categories of personality ARE associated with certani defenses, what comes to mind are:
Paranoid--projection
Schizoid--withdrawal
Obscessive/Compulsive--doing stuff
Hypomanic--denial
Narcissistic--devaluing
Dissociative personality--disssociating

Hope this is helpful??
 
Saying that somebody has borderline persondality disorder describes a DSM diagnosis but really tells you nothing about the patient's individual personality structure--it is just a collection of symptoms. As you may know, the term borderline originally referred to a level of functioning and NOT typology of personality--borderline is borderland between psychotic functioning and high neurotic functinoing. The group of people Gunderson studied when coming up with DSM criteria were primarily hystrionic, hence the hystrionic nature of people who tend to be labeled with BPD.

Remember that it is NOT the presence of immature defense mechanisms that defines a personality disorder (we all have these under stress, etc.) it is the LACK of mature ones.

Somebody above recommended Nancy McWilliams book "Psychoanalytic Diagnosis"--if you want to get an overview of personality structure and how to think about it in a more sophisticated way, I'd start there.

Psychotic--borderline--neurotic--mature refers to level of functioning. Various typological categories of personality ARE associated with certani defenses, what comes to mind are:
Paranoid--projection
Schizoid--withdrawal
Obscessive/Compulsive--doing stuff
Hypomanic--denial
Narcissistic--devaluing
Dissociative personality--disssociating

Hope this is helpful??

Very helpful and appreciated, thank you
 
In psychoanalytic theory, the idea is that all the individual mechanisms stem from repression of reality (which is noxious in some form or another).

In new age and also very old-age thinking (the Diamond Sutra for example), the idea is that suffering is caused by repressing a misunderstood reality (people turn away from reality when in fact reality is very good).