Deferral

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Arb

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is it possible to defer an acceptance for a thesis defense?

Members don't see this ad.

ask the schools - don't ask us!

I am afraid to! Unless I can do it anonymously. Just wanted to hear if anyone has done this.

Members don't see this ad :)
I have heard that you can do it, but the other poster is right...you should just ask. I don't think its likely that they'll pull your acceptance just because you ask the question! Besides, I think they'll like the fact that you want to finish what you started.

just give them a call and don't tell them who you are...then they'll never know.

DrYo12 said:
I have heard that you can do it, but the other poster is right...you should just ask. I don't think its likely that they'll pull your acceptance just because you ask the question! Besides, I think they'll like the fact that you want to finish what you started.

Actually, I think you have to finish whatever program you started before you matriculate. So they won't be all into the fact that he is thinking about finishing his degree - they will expect him to do so.

Yeah, I mean, hey, the worst thing they can say is 'no, you may not defer and you must matriculate.' Maybe not the answer you want to hear, but not necessarily bad news (i.e. they're not taking away your acceptance just for asking a question). It's definitely worth asking.

VPDcurt said:
Actually, I think you have to finish whatever program you started before you matriculate. So they won't be all into the fact that he is thinking about finishing his degree - they will expect him to do so.
I'm not saying that they will shower praise upon him for being a superstar, but that they'll respect the fact that he's acknowledging his responsibility.

The thing is the scheduling. I will probably defend in the middle of August but some schools start classes then...

I hear people defending while doing 1st year. Is that possible? Med schools don't check if you finished your degree when school starts right?

Arb said:
The thing is the scheduling. I will probably defend in the middle of August but some schools start classes then...

I hear people defending while doing 1st year. Is that possible? Med schools don't check if you finished your degree when school starts right?

I've heard people defending their first year if they are at the same school. I'm sure you can do it anywhere else, but it will just be inconvenient. I think they will ask for your official transcript so they will be able to tell whether you got the degree by then. Whether the school has problems or not, its up to them. If you have been accepted, why not ask them? I don't think they will change their offer, and I have seen that most schools will allow you to defer for a year.

I will be defending in August as well, if not earlier. I will begin writing my dissertation early next year.