Deferred Start Date Tips

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted1023325

Hey all. I was accepted and made a commitment to Barry to begin classes. However, I am in the Army, and during the Summer/Fall of 2021 they have to send me to my Basic Officer Leaders Course (graduating from college/ROTC May of 2021). As a result, I will be deferring my start date to August of 2022 and be a member of the class of 2026. I spoke with the school and they said it was completely fine and that it was not an issue.

For anyone (or if you know anyone) who took a year off between school and med school, how did you find ways to keep your brain engaged and in the mode of learning?

The plan is to keep my brain engaged and active as much as I can while I am away (my training is in San Antonio, TX).

Any advice is appreciated, thanks!

(P.S. if you are trying to practice podiatry in the military, do not join the Army lol)

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Hey! Just so we have a general idea -- what will your schedule be like (with the Army/ commitment during the Summer/Fall 2021)?

Hey! Just so we have a general idea -- what will your schedule be like (with the Army/ commitment during the Summer/Fall 2021)?
So unfortunately that is part of the uncertainty with the Army. Basically, they could send me anytime from May 2021 up until March of 2022. I should have an answer to when I would need to attend training sometime in November or December of this year.

Members don't see this ad :)
I didn't even know we could practice in the military lol. I thought it was just MDs and DOs.
The extent to which we can is limited. The Army has severely cut down on the number of podiatrists it needs, and from what I have heard, the Navy is down scaling to almost zero. I am not sure about the Air Force. It does not really matter though because I plan on being a National Guard Officer (weekend warrior) and not active duty. As a result I will be a civilian podiatrist.

So unfortunately that is part of the uncertainty with the Army. Basically, they could send me anytime from May 2021 up until March of 2022. I should have an answer to when I would need to attend training sometime in November or December of this year.

First of all, Congrats and thank you for your upcoming services :)

My only advice would be to do whatever you ever wanted from now until May 21, because after that, you may not get the chance to have this much free time.

That said, plan a trip (easier said than done though due to COVID-but try), workout/get in the best shape you can, try reading different books (not medical), hang out with family and friends, binge your favorite shows...basically enjoy life until May.

PS: if you get really bored, memorize the steps/enzymes of every metabolic pathway in biochem :p, jk..don't study!

Reactions: 3 users
I agree with Dexter!

But if you want some brain stimulation, I suggest joining a journal club! They are usually weekly and you can take turns with others. You find a science journal you like, read it, analyze it, present it to others, and repeat. Pros: stress-free, can do it remotely, be able to efficiently process information and data, practice presentation skills, etc. :D I'll think of some other ideas too!

Reactions: 1 users
First of all, Congrats and thank you for your upcoming services :)

My only advice would be to do whatever you ever wanted from now until May 21, because after that, you may not get the chance to have this much free time.

That said, plan a trip (easier said than done though due to COVID-but try), workout/get in the best shape you can, try reading different books (not medical), hang out with family and friends, binge your favorite shows...basically enjoy life until May.

PS: if you get really bored, memorize the steps/enzymes of every metabolic pathway in biochem :p, jk..don't study!
I agree with Dexter!

But if you want some brain stimulation, I suggest joining a journal club! They are usually weekly and you can take turns with others. You find a science journal you like, read it, analyze it, present it to others, and repeat. Pros: stress-free, can do it remotely, be able to efficiently process information and data, practice presentation skills, etc. :D I'll think of some other ideas too!
Thanks for both of the recommendations guys. Those both seem like great ideas! I thought about just getting a couple of old text books on classes that first years take and reviewing them tbh....lol

Thanks for both of the recommendations guys. Those both seem like great ideas! I thought about just getting a couple of old text books on classes that first years take and reviewing them tbh....lol

I thought that too and even tried it...
Looking back- would do everything I wanted to do before school starts.

Travel, spend time with family/friends/SO, get really good at hobbies you really like.

Do all the stuff that makes you you. Do all the stuff you always wanted to do.

You can always study harder, but you will never get that 1 year back from your life after you start school.

I thought that too and even tried it...
Looking back- would do everything I wanted to do before school starts.

Travel, spend time with family/friends/SO, get really good at hobbies you really like.

Do all the stuff that makes you you. Do all the stuff you always wanted to do.

You can always study harder, but you will never get that 1 year back from your life after you start school.
Guess I could work on my atrocious golf game....but in all seriousness yeah thats probably a better idea, and never really thought of it that way. Might try to save up some money too.

Thanks for the input!

Check out the book below and similar titles from the Author; gives a new perspective on life and medicine.

Screen Shot 2020-09-25 at 8.46.21 PM.png

Reactions: 2 users
I will take some community course or online course with credit, like anatomy or medical terminology. Otherwise I will lose my motivation to study.