Deferring Acceptance...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

OATAcer

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know if their optometry school would be alright with the applicant deferring their application for the following year's class? Let's say I get accepted into a school and decide to start next year (2013) and in the meantime I want to try out for other schools.

Members don't see this ad.

I think most schools should let you do that. Worth a shot to get into established & accredited school. Are you comfortable waiting another year?

I think most schools should let you do that. Worth a shot to get into established & accredited school. Are you comfortable waiting another year?

I'm actually not sure that they do. I think I heard at least one school say they don't, but I have absolutely no idea who that was. I remember they said it's because the applicant pool changes so much from year to year and their criteria might change. I'm sure that's school-specific, so I would just call their admissions offices to ask. Have you already been accepted? If so, then they won't un-accept you just for asking that question :). I would make it an anonymous call if you are calling an office where your decision is still pending.

Members don't see this ad :)

Yes, I am okay of waiting another year as I can work and save money and get into a better school. So the schools just hold the seat?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

I'm actually not sure that they do. I think I heard at least one school say they don't, but I have absolutely no idea who that was. I remember they said it's because the applicant pool changes so much from year to year and their criteria might change. I'm sure that's school-specific, so I would just call their admissions offices to ask. Have you already been accepted? If so, then they won't un-accept you just for asking that question :). I would make it an anonymous call if you are calling an office where your decision is still pending.

I agree. I think I will make an anonymous call this week and see what they say.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

My wife, also an OD deferred acceptance to Pacific back in 2002 so that she could teach English in Japan for a year. Some schools will allow you to defer (especially if you give them a good reason), such as Pacific. Waterloo on the other hand did not allow her to defer.

Personally I don't think there are too many good reasons to defer OD school, unless you are trying to defer to get into a school with cheaper tuition, like Waterloo for Canadians. If you ask me, it doesn't matter too much where you go to optometry school in terms of education. You will probably get a good education anywhere, but you will definitely pay more tuition at some schools than others.

If you are thinking of defering, look at how much tuition has gone up each year. Next year you may be paying much more than if you went this year. Also defering will prevent you from earning your OD salary by one year which will atleast be $45,000 (unless you do a residency). You have to ask yourself if it is worth working your current job to defer for a year to maybe get into a different school?

Reactions: 1 user