Deferring an acceptance

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

moto_za

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
If I defer a DO acceptance do I have to reapply through AACOMAS again? Are schools pretty strict about allowing you to defer? Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

If you defer I'm pretty sure you're just moving your acceptance back to the next year. However can you apply the following year? That's a more interesting question.

Don't quote me on this, but I've heard that if you defer the one acceptance you got and don't get into any other schools/withdraw acceptances from other schools, you get black listed from all other schools. So if you defer this one school, you better be going there. Again, this is just what I heard.

Lots of schools are okay if you want to defer an acceptance a year, though.

Members don't see this ad :)
I have actually heard the same thing but I'm also not certain about that.

But yes, you wont have to reapply since you will be pushing back your acceptance a year (this is done thru the school as far as I know, not through AACOMAS)

If I defer a DO acceptance do I have to reapply through AACOMAS again? Are schools pretty strict about allowing you to defer? Thanks!

I have read threads like this in the past. If you are just deferring, then most likely no. If it is an acceptance that has been given for the next year, then you might. I can't really answer about the strictness of deferral.

To answer the below comments, if you are deferring, you most likely cannot apply again. The schools will have policies on this and most will not allow you to apply again. However, this applies within the DO application system and not MD application system. There have been some in the past that have deferred their acceptance to a DO school and then applied MD. I would not risk this though IMO.

Deferring a year would be foolish unless you have a very serious reason to do so. Every year, the match gets more competitive, school gets more expensive, and the interest rates on the now adjustable-rate loans will likely grow ever higher. Plus you'll be throwing away just under a quarter million dollars to opportunity cost just by losing a year of practice. If you want to go to medical school, the sooner, the better. Waiting a year in hopes that you'll be accepted to a better school or get some fancier letters after your name will likely make very little of a difference in your happiness in the grand scheme of things, but will cost you very much in return.

Reactions: 1 user