Deferring Enrollment

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cinc0009

UMN CVM 2012
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I don't know if I am just nervous or what, but I am considering deferring my enrollment a year. What do you guys think?
I was waitlisted, and I felt that I would not get in. So I got myself psyched to take a year off. Then just yesterday I got called, and I got in! I was really excited at first, but then it started sinking in... "another 4 years". And my grades from this last semester weren't stellar, and I worked my tail off! So I feel like I am getting burnt out, and maybe a year off would be good?
But I don't even know if I'm allowed that option, because I am coming off the waitlist.
I thought maybe it was just the shock of being accepted, and I would get excited again, but I talked to several people who said their year off was the best thing they ever did! And I'm afraid I'm not going to be ready for school, because I will be burnt out or something.
I don't want to confess any of this to my parents, because I know they will be really disappointed, and I said some of this to my boyfriend but he didn't understand at all! :(
I know this is what I want (to be a vet)! I really do! I just want to make sure I'm ready to work my butt off again for the next 4 years.
Sorry for the long rant. I'm just really worried, and I'm wondering if anyone else has felt this way and what you guys think. :)

Members don't see this ad.

It's a good idea in theory, but you may not have that option. Not all schools allow a deferment. I know ISU (Iowa) only allows deferment for finishing up grad school or military obligations.

If you really want the year off but can't defer your admissions, you run the risk of not getting accepted again.

Good luck on the decision!

It's totally normal to be nervous. If you feel burnt out take this summer, do something fun and unexpected. Take a road trip (or even a weekend trip with your boyfriend and/or some friends), do something outside of vet med (like working an unrelated job), read some good books (just for fun) or quit your job a little early and just lounge by the pool. In other words, do what regenerates you. You'll be surprised how relaxed you can get in the summer, if you manage to get those nagging worries out of your head.

I had the last semester before vet school off from classes and only went part-time before that, and I feel it made it harder to get in the swing of classes my first semester. So it actually might make things easier coming directly from school first semester. Plus, at vet school, in general, there isn't that weeding out there is in undergrad. Your classmates tend to be more supportive (yes there are gunners though) and your profs want you to succeed. It's a different environment. When you need help, you get it.

Check out the nervous about vet school thread from this year and last and you'll see that you're not alone. You can do it, and you will. Just relax this summer.

Members don't see this ad :)
If it were me, I would definitely go this fall! Who knows what might happen next year? It's always changing... and what if you were to get waitlisted again and not get in? I'd be kicking myself in the butt saying.. why didn't I go last year....

It'd be too much of a gamble for me to risk not getting in. Also, U of Mn is an awesome awesome school! That was my first choice and it was dissappointing to be rejected after my interview there.

If you feel like you need a break... take one now! You have a good 2 months before classes start... that should be time enough to vacation and relax... :D

Good luck with your decision!

Congrats on getting in! Like was mentioned earlier we are all dealing with nerves/cold feet and there are posts that might make you feel like you are far from alone if you choose to read them. (See: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=523681)

As for deferment, you will want to check the school's policy, but as I understand it most school's, if they offer it at all, have it only for medical, military or other 'serious' extenuating circumstances. Otherwise you just have to re-apply.

Good luck with your decision!

thanks everyone, for your input. I'm getting excited again for vet school, and I think that after taking the summer off I will be recharged and ready to go! It's finally starting to sink in that I got accepted! :D:hardy:

I am burnt out too, cinc0009! I am defending my thesis Wednesday so school STILL isn't over for me.

YAY!! I'm glad you're starting to get excited again!!!

I think the road trip idea is fantastic!!! Do something fun and not school related!!

Hi cinc0009, I understand completely!

By the time the admissions offers were coming out I was just so dang tired I would have been happy either way. I would have been happy taking that year off doing simple things and letting my brain grow back. Or I'd be happy taking a few months off and then going back to school.

I ended up getting accepted at my state school straight away. I've been on break since the middle of April. I can tell you that with a few months break (I am doing absolutely nothing school related. It's fantastic!) that I'll feel good about going back to school.

And this is coming from a pretty burnt out person. I decided vet med late, so it really extended my undergrad stay. I was SO ready to get done with school.

So take the next few months and do NOTHING school related. Or like the above people suggested, get a completely different summer job, take a trip, read some books, get some good naps in. You'll feel much better when school rolls around and you won't have to go through another stressful app cycle and the waiting.