Deferring for a year

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

langiyo

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Do you guys know if there is a school out there that lets you defer for a year to gain instate residency? I'm a California resident which means I get to enjoy nice weather but it also means that my instate is UC Daviswhich is probably one of the hardest vet schools on the planet to get into and there is a big chance I won't make the cut when I apply next round. I've been thinking about applying to other places like UIUC is there any vets schools that allow their applicants to defer a year?

Members don't see this ad.

UPenn specifically lets you defer for a year to get instate, but I think they are the only one that does that. Other schools like Ohio, NCSU & mizzou (?) allow you to apply for instate after your first year and meeting certain requirements.

UPenn specifically lets you defer for a year to get instate, but I think they are the only one that does that. Other schools like Ohio, NCSU & mizzou (?) allow you to apply for instate after your first year and meeting certain requirements.
Neat. I want not aware that any schools allowed this. Yes, a lot of the other schools allow for you to gain residency after your first year. This means that you have to basically live on your own and without any outside help for 1 year in that particular state to qualify for residency.

Members don't see this ad :)
1) UC Davis is not THAT hard to get in as in-state. It is VERY hard to get in OOS.
2) A lot of school's OOS tuition may be not much different than UCD's in-state tuition, so it might not be THAT bad for you to try.

Reactions: 1 user
There is a thread on this. I was looking at it Monday because I am interested in which schools allow you to convert if you marry a resident (or if your spouse becomes a resident). The only thing is, I don't think that thread has been updated since 2013.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

I can count two. So I'm not sure about that. Most lock you in as OOS. In OK, you gotta marry an Okie to have it change.

I know of three, but I think there are four? But yeah, definitely not a lot!

Probably should have used the word "some". I was writing that as a break from writing my thesis - brain is a little fried today.

I thought Washington was IS after the first year too?

I thought Washington was IS after the first year too?

Can confirm WSU allows you to apply for residency after a year. No idea of how hard it is or how likely it is to get it.

I can count two. So I'm not sure about that. Most lock you in as OOS. In OK, you gotta marry an Okie to have it change.
Hmmm. I see a new matchmaking biz opportunity... .
Cute vet student seeks open minded Okie for marriage opportunity.
Must love smell of formaldehyde, animal hair of various types, and animal smells of many types.

Reactions: 2 users
Hmmm. I see a new matchmaking biz opportunity... .
Cute vet student seeks open minded Okie for marriage opportunity.
Must love smell of formaldehyde, animal hair of various types, and animal smells of many types.

You don't have to be lonely at VetsOnly.com. :p

Reactions: 8 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I know of three, but I think there are four? But yeah, definitely not a lot!

According to VIN:
Mizzou
Davis
NCState
Washington state

And according to another thread Ohio State.

That's crazy that Penn lets you defer for tuition. Does it require special circumstances?

According to VIN:
Mizzou
Davis
NCState
Washington state

That's crazy that Penn lets you defer for tuition. Does it require special circumstances?

Well, it isn't like Penn's IS cost is all that much better than their OOS. Actually some school's OOS costs are cheaper than Penn IS

Reactions: 1 users
According to VIN:
Mizzou
Davis
NCState
Washington state

Not generally, AFAIK. They will let you defer for most any reason.

Ohio and Mizzou are for sure, all the time, just follow the steps. NCSU and WSU are maybe a bit harder. I have my doubts about Davis but hey, maybe it's not too hard. I do know that Davis IS is still more than OK OOS, and several other schools too.

According to VIN:
Mizzou
Davis
NCState
Washington state

Yes, Ohio State does offer residency after the first year.

Can confirm Missouri, and I believe Auburn as well.

Also wanted to add--if your instate is hard to get into, try being out of state! OOS requirements are often higher and much more competitive because there are more people trying to get into less seats. Some schools let in more OOSers than others, so it pays to do your homework and apply wisely.

Also wanted to add--if your instate is hard to get into, try being out of state! OOS requirements are often higher and much more competitive because there are more people trying to get into less seats.
Ok so on the surface this obviously seems true, but most of the OOS applicants are also IS applicants elsewhere as well as OOS applicants at multiple schools. So if you consider that a school may have 700 OOS applicants for 20 seats (<3% chance of acceptance), the applicant to seat ratio across the country is published as a 2.1, so 47-48%. I agree that to get into a particular OOS is more competitive, really I'd call it more of a crap shoot. Some applicants aren't qualified, some just don't look good on paper, and sure the GPA requirements are higher, but the OOS waitlists do move some. I think it comes down to luck on if you get picked or not for some OOS schools. If you look at some of the acceptances, there are plenty of people who have posted with multiple OOS acceptances. Some even who got rejected to their IS, which always kind of blows my mind. In those cases either the applicant didn't have what the school wanted, didn't interview well, or maybe the monkey and the dartboard wasn't in their favor. I do think that if you have a low GPA or some other hurdle on your application that you have to work around/over then that 2.1 ratio isn't as comforting as you are going to have to work harder to be on the positive side of that statistic...but overall, a 2.1 ratio is really not as competitive as an individual schools stat of 20 out of 700 may seem. You just have to know where your effort is most likely going to yield positive results, and apply to those places. This isn't to say that it's not frustrating or difficult to get in OOS. I didn't even bother to apply OOS because of finances, but also because I realized how difficult the stats made it seem. Overall 2.1 ratio is not that bad. But 700 to 20 is VERY competitive, so if that one school is your only application or your top choice, then yes, then you have to look at just that one school's stats and it's a dart board game. If you are applying to multiple schools then your chances go up since that overall ratio across the board is 2.1. I hope this rambling makes sense.

If you are still waiting on acceptances this round, best of luck!

For reference, dental school ratio in 2010 (only data I could find quickly) was 2.4 (42%) and I think medical school was a little over 2.5 (40%) for 2015. Vet was 2.1 and declining.

As to the OP, do whatever you can/have to do to save money and get IS or cheaper tuition. You'll thank yourself later!

Reactions: 1 users
If you look at some of the acceptances, there are plenty of people who have posted with multiple OOS acceptances. Some even who got rejected to their IS, which always kind of blows my mind.

Just goes to show how different schools can be in what they are looking for in an applicant.