Deferring Payment, Interest?

Started by Zoom-Zoom
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Zoom-Zoom

Full Member
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I'm trying to find a private lender that will allow me to defer payment without interest until I finish school.

1. Are there any private lenders that do this? The puny Stafford loan won't make a dent in my $30K+ undergrad tuition.
2. How do med students with debt from undergrad avoid racking up 8 years of interest on loans?

This whole thing is going to cost me half a million dollars if I don't play my cards right. Is it possible that some people just can't afford to become doctors? :scared:

My school offers virtually no support for finding lenders or counseling on how to defer loans and avoid interest. Any help on this at all would be very much appreciated.

-Zoom
 
I don't know for sure, but I doubt any private lenders will defer interest on loans. The only loans I've heard of with deferred interest are subsidized staffords and perkins loans, and with those, the government pays your interest.

Honestly if the tuition at your school is $30k, I'd recommend going to a cheaper school. People get into medical school from state schools all the time. If you don't get big scholarships, general grants or have parents willing to pay, private schools aren't that feasible.