deferring pod school acceptance

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jack russel

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was wondering what the rules are for deferrment if you get accepted to pod school. Do they even allow it- and if they do is it only for extenuating circumstances? Does it vary for each school?

Members don't see this ad.

I was wondering what the rules are for deferrment if you get accepted to pod school. Do they even allow it- and if they do is it only for extenuating circumstances? Does it vary for each school?

Deferment is allowed. I would contact the admission department at the schools that you are interested in.

What I have gathered at DMU is deferment is used by some solid applicants after the class has been filled. Deferment is also used in personal situations also.

I deferred my admissions offer at Scholl. The procedure in place is simply asks you to write a letter to the admissions committee explaining your situation, including the reasons for asking for the deferment. But, I say this with caution... the school will expect you to have a good reason.

Members don't see this ad :)
I interview at Temple next Friday(3-30). The admissions people said I could apply now and defer for September 2008 entrance. I do have pretty good stats so I don't know if that factored in or not.

If anyone else has deferred, I am curious about how that affects scholarships?

Let's say I get accepted at a school by April sometime and I want to defer for fall 08 matriculation. How soon might I find out about scholarship offers? Would I have to wait until next year?

If no one can answer that, for people applying via the regular process, when did you find out about scholarship/financial aid? Did you find out from the school along with the acceptance letter, or did it come later and if so, how much later?

If anyone else has deferred, I am curious about how that affects scholarships?

Let's say I get accepted at a school by April sometime and I want to defer for fall 08 matriculation. How soon might I find out about scholarship offers? Would I have to wait until next year?

If no one can answer that, for people applying via the regular process, when did you find out about scholarship/financial aid? Did you find out from the school along with the acceptance letter, or did it come later and if so, how much later?

When I deferred, I lost the scholarship that they offered me for that year... but I was reconsidered again with the incoming class of the next and eventually offered more money in the long run. I was informed in a letter, early this year.