Deferring Residency: How does it work?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Ailleurs

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Although I know I'm not a medical student and just a measly pre-med student :p, but I was just wondering if anyone knew how deferring residency for a year works? Does the medical school you are in help you to get into a match for the next year?

I looked through the few threads at SDN regarding residency deferral, but didn't find any information of use. And interestingly enough, google provides no information about it either, so I came here to ask, if anyone would be nice as to answer my question :)

Oh and I know I shouldn't have to be thinking about this now as I haven't even applied for med school, but if I do hopefully get into one in the future, I know that I would think about deferring residency for a year because of marriage/family plans (or research). And I would like to know this now, so as to know which schools have better guidance for this seemingly new trend (as I see from the data floating around on the internet).

Members don't see this ad.

You don't defer in residency like you can for college and medical school admissions. But you can delay in one of two ways:

1) extend your medical education by taking a year off during medical school, doing a year of research, getting another degree, etc.

2) taking time off between medical school and residency.

In the latter you are considered an "Independent Candidate". Your school will "help" you in the match in that they will submit LORs and transcripts to the NRMP but you may find that the help ends there. It will be up to the school, the faculty and how far you are out from graduation. Bear in mind that taking time off between medical school and residency means that your match rate will be lower (at least overall).

"Deferring" in the sense that you defer a medical school acceptance doesn't apply to residency. You can't match and then just ask to start a year later. It's kindof like the Army in that sense.

However-- you can easily take a year off in medical school to do any number of things, research/second degree being the most common. I'm doing it right now, as a matter of fact.

Most people opt to take their year off between third and fourth year, since it's MUCH easier to go through the residency match when you're a 4th year student, at a school, than when you're graduated and all on your own. Med schools are different with regards to how much support they offer already-graduated students in the Match.

You're right in that you don't need to worry about this just yet, but know that it's a very common option. About 50 people in my medical school class of 150 are taking a year off right now (though that's unusually high).

Agree with blondedocteur.
The best way to do this would be to take the year off (or research year) either between 3rd and 4th year (which would be my recommendation) or possibly between 1st/2nd or 2nd/3rd years. That way you'd get the benefit of being a 4th year student when you go through the match.

Wow blondedoc, 50/150 students taking a research year? I've never heard of that many. We did have some @my school who did research years, and one woman who extended 2nd year into a 2 year pathway because of having a baby.

We had a couple people who didn't match into something like derm or rads who chose to do a research year after 4th year in order to try to help them match into their desired area.

Yeah, the last one happens as well occasionally (or people change their minds, drop out of the match, and set up a research year after they graduate).

It's a wee bit nuts, we know that. But for the past few years it's been quite the trend to take an extra year.

Wow, okay thanks for all of the help everyone :)

And ok, I understand that it's not the same "deferring" as one can do in undergrad or medical school.

Thanks again :thumbup:

As someone who took time during med school, as well as between MD and residency, I can say that whenever and for whatever you "take time off", make sure you have a plan:

-Med schools will want to see you doing something "official" - paperwork from another school, a supervisor, a research mentor, etc. You will likely have to take an official Leave of Absence from med school (unless you're getting a PhD or MPH from your own school.)

-for anything beyond med school, you don't need anyone's permission. But you still need to have a plan to do SOMETHING, and it better look good on paper. It would also be a good idea to do something regular (volunteering in a clinic, minor research, shadowing) to keep your head in the "medicine game."

As for chances of matching, I don't entirely agree with the comment above. I think that your chances would be as good or better, depending on how you spent your time, and how well you did in med school.

For example, if you did reasonably well in med school (at least top 1/2 of the class), and took time to start a family, but managed to take patient histories and physical exams in a clinic one day a week, I don't think you'd be at any particular disadvantage.
On the other hand, if you were not the hottest student, and all you could take for your time off was that you needed a break from medicine and studied underwater basket-weaving, I think you might have some problems.

i have a similar question but going off what zoondel wrote about spending this time off wisely and medicine related. Im currently a MD/PhD student in my third year of the program and i have been strongly considering getting a physics degree. my research is in innate immunity and a bachelors in physics doesnt exactly fit together. It will be possible for me to take some but definitely not all the classes required for the degree during my grad years and ive been trying to work through what the best course of action for making time to "go back to school". It isnt underwater basket weaving but it isnt really med related. will this be looked down upon by a residency program/be hard for me to convince my school to get time off to pursue this?

As someone who took time during med school, as well as between MD and residency, I can say that whenever and for whatever you "take time off", make sure you have a plan:

-Med schools will want to see you doing something "official" - paperwork from another school, a supervisor, a research mentor, etc. You will likely have to take an official Leave of Absence from med school (unless you're getting a PhD or MPH from your own school.)

-for anything beyond med school, you don't need anyone's permission. But you still need to have a plan to do SOMETHING, and it better look good on paper. It would also be a good idea to do something regular (volunteering in a clinic, minor research, shadowing) to keep your head in the "medicine game."

As for chances of matching, I don't entirely agree with the comment above. I think that your chances would be as good or better, depending on how you spent your time, and how well you did in med school.

For example, if you did reasonably well in med school (at least top 1/2 of the class), and took time to start a family, but managed to take patient histories and physical exams in a clinic one day a week, I don't think you'd be at any particular disadvantage.
On the other hand, if you were not the hottest student, and all you could take for your time off was that you needed a break from medicine and studied underwater basket-weaving, I think you might have some problems.

I have been debating whether I should defer residency for a year or two to go do missions/clinical work in africa. I know I can do this after residency but I am planning on moving to africa and want to get an idea of how medicine works in that part of the world.

Does anyone have any thoughts on this idea?

I have been debating whether I should defer residency for a year or two to go do missions/clinical work in africa. I know I can do this after residency but I am planning on moving to africa and want to get an idea of how medicine works in that part of the world.

Does anyone have any thoughts on this idea?
Hi blkprl, long time no see. :)

If you're going to do that, I'd consider doing it now before you graduate, for the reasons given above. It's just easier applying as a US senior than it is as an independent candidate.

I took time off to do research and although at the time it was a very unpopular decision, I did end up getting into a very competitive residency program.

You just have to do what's right for you.

-R

Hi blkprl, long time no see. :)

If you're going to do that, I'd consider doing it now before you graduate, for the reasons given above. It's just easier applying as a US senior than it is as an independent candidate.

Hi Q,
good to hear from you! went by your old place today and thought about you!

will PM you.

I took time off to do research and although at the time it was a very unpopular decision, I did end up getting into a very competitive residency program.

You just have to do what's right for you.

-R

Thanks for your input.

You're right in that you don't need to worry about this just yet, but know that it's a very common option. About 50 people in my medical school class of 150 are taking a year off right now (though that's unusually high).
1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg